Cannot get camera to work

Cannot get camera to work

Hi,

I was trying to set up the RealSense developer kit (front camera) and I cannot get it to work.

I installed:
-Camera Depth Manager version 1.2.14.24922 (version 1.3 and 2.0 installers refuse to go on saying they do not detect the camera).
-Intel RealSense SDK version 5.0.3.187777
-I rebooted after installation

My machine is a Dell Latitude E6430 with an i7-3520M CPU at 2.9GHz, running 64-bit Windows 8.1. The camera is plugged into a USB 3.0 port and the device manager lists 3 RealSense devices under "Imaging" (depth, RGB, and virtual driver).

Most of the applications under the sample browser do not work. Some samples start the RGB camera, the green light turns on for a few seconds, then streaming stops, the device disappears from the device manager and reappears (with the associated "disconnect" and "reconnect" audio effects). Most other samples report "Init failed" when I click the "Start" button.

I also tried the Personify for video collaboration application and the RGB camera starts streaming for a few seconds, then the device disconnects/reconnects. Personify doesn't seem to be able to access the depth camera as background extraction is not functional.

Is there any tool I can run, or log I can collect to help solve the issue? It seems my system meets the minimum requirements.

Thanks!
CG

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Christian G,

I had I camera with the exactly the same behavior.

I tried the camera with two other notebooks and the behavior was the same.

The camera is probably defective, you have to ask for a new one :(

If you using any other USB devices, disconnect them while using the camera.

Try unplugging and re connecting the camera, and even maybe restarting the OS.

Also you can also try using an USB hub with external power supply which has been useful for other members of the forum before...

Ok, I tried this:

- Replaced Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller driver from Microsoft (Windows 8.1) with the driver from Intel for Windows 7. This still wouldn't do it.

- Connected the camera through a USB 3.0 Hub. This time, the camera works some of the time.

- Personify for video collaboration sometimes performed background extraction. Once it hung. Another time, it showed just the RGB picture, and did not extract the background. When background extraction doesn't work in personify, rebooting usually makes it work.

- Most of the samples still don't work (either they hang, or I get "init failed"). I managed a few times to see depth information, but I can't get it back now.

A colleague of mine tried with a USB 3.0 Hub and couldn't get the camera (another one) to work either.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Christian

Here is what I found out so far:

• For me the camera only works once after reboot.

• It has to be connected to a USB 3.0 hub.

Has anyone else also encountered the first issue?

Thanks,
CG

Quote:

Christian G. wrote:

Thanks,
CG

This is still very frustrating. I can sometimes get the camera (F200) to work, but after unplugging / replugging many times, or after rebooting.

Most of the time, when streaming starts, the camera device disconnects and reconnects (this can be seen in the device manager). We have a total of 3 cameras, all of them exhibit the same issue on different computers, USB HUB attached or not.

Any other suggestions? Camera FW update?

Thanks,
CG

Quote:

Christian G. wrote:

Quote:

Christian G. wrote:

Thanks,
CG

This is still very frustrating. I can sometimes get the camera (F200) to work, but after unplugging / replugging many times, or after rebooting.

Most of the time, when streaming starts, the camera device disconnects and reconnects (this can be seen in the device manager). We have a total of 3 cameras, all of them exhibit the same issue on different computers, USB HUB attached or not.

Any other suggestions? Camera FW update?

Thanks,
CG

1) Unistall both the driver and SDK
2) Restart your computer
3) Install both of them while the Camera is attached
4) Test now

After you follow these steps, let me know if you still encounter the same issue. I faced this issue when I was unplugging and plugging the camera frequently to test between different devices. Once I stopped that I never encountered this issue again.

As for the USB part, you will have to use the USB 3.0 port because to support the bandwidth needed by the camera, a USB3 interface is required.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today