Intel PCM - Starting MSR service failed with error 2

Intel PCM - Starting MSR service failed with error 2

Dear PCM Team,I use PCM successfully on one computer with two Xeon E5645 CPUs running Windows XP. When I tried to run it on another system with Xeon E5504 CPU, I get the "Starting MSR service failed with error 2", which I believe is a file-not-found error for msr.sys. I have msr.sys in the same directory as pcm.exe the way I use it in my other system. So I don't know why the file could not found. I have administrator prevlideges when I run pcm.exe. Can you help me with this?Note: I have tried using winring0.dll/winring0.sys as explained in the PCM zip as an alternative to msr.sys. This works except that the computer freezes/hangs after a few minutes. I use PCM in my program and show some measurements in a GUI.Debolay

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Debolay,for the MSR service the msr.sys also have to be copied into the Windows system32 directory (for example c:\windows\system32\ on my machine).Thanks,Roman

Roman,I put msr.sys into the WINDOWS\system32 directory. I also have msr.sys in the location of pcm.exe. But I get the same error. Here is the output:Intel® Performance Counter Monitor Copyright (c) 2009-2011 Intel CorporationStarting MSR service failed with error 2Trying to load winring0.dll/winring0.sys driver...Failed to load winring0.dll/winring0.sys driver.Cannot access CPU countersYou must have signed msr.sys driver in your current directory and have administrator rights to run this programNum cores: 4Num sockets: 1Threads per core: 1Core PMU (perfmon) version: 3Number of core PMU generic (programmable) counters: 4Width of generic (programmable) counters: 48 bitsNumber of core PMU fixed counters: 3Width of fixed counters: 48 bitsAccess to Intel® Performance Counter Monitor has denied (no MSR or PCI CFG space access).Debolay

Debolay,on E5504 which version of Windows XP do you have:* 32 or 64 bit?* Windows XP Professional x64 or just Windows XP Professional?I know that Windows XP Professional x64 has in fact a Windows Server 2003 kernel and therefore recognizes drivers compiled in "Windows Server 2003 x64" DDK environment.Thanks,Roman

Roman,I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3, 32-bit version. The CPU is Intel Xeon E5504. I compiled the msr driver in this machine itself.Debolay

64-bit Windows starting from Win XP will not load drivers which are not signed.PatchGuard protection will kick in and prevent the driver' entry point routine from beign called by the I/O manager.One of the workarounds is trying to use this program called "Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b".
Hope it helps.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today