cilkscreen and cilkview not found

cilkscreen and cilkview not found

newport_j's picture

I finally got my application to compile with icc, not just gcc. However, when I went to check it withprograms like cilkscreen and cilkview it says cilkscreen and cilkview not found.

I tried the Ubuntu file search and I did not find any files with cilkscreen or cilkview as root. I beleive that it must be a path problem, but I do not know where cilkscreen and cilkview files are located. Can you please tell me where?

Thanks in advance.

Newport_j

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Georg Zitzlsberger (Intel)'s picture

Hello,

did you download the Intel Cilk Plus SDK already? Both tools are shipped within. It can be found here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-cilk-plus-software-development-kit/

Please be aware that for 12.0 & 12.1 there are different SDKs. You need to download the one appropriate for your compiler.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

newport_j's picture

I am using icc version 12.1. Thus that is the compiler thatI must install cilkscreen and cilkview for.

Is this something new? I am on upgrade 8 or 9, but in the past Iinstalled cilkscreen and cilkview as I installed the whole cilk package. They were not separate installs.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

They do work with icc, which is of course a c compiler, not a c++ compiler?

Newport_j

Georg Zitzlsberger (Intel)'s picture

Hello,

if you've installed Intel C++ Composer XE 2011 for Linux* all updates from 6 upwards contain the 12.1 compilers. All before (up to update 5) were 12.0 compilers.

Since we've made available Intel Cilk Plus in our compilers (12.0 & 12.1) we're offing the cilkscreen/cilkview tools separately via the Intel Cilk Plus SDK.

For the predecessor, Intel Cilk++ (not supported anymore), things were different. (note the ++!)

So, if you want to use Intel Cilk Plus, you need our 12.0 or 12.1 compilers and (optionally) download the Intel Cilk Plus SDK. However, this SDK only contains additional tools and is not necessarily needed to build Intel Cilk Plus applications. Everything for the build comes already with our compilers.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

Barry Tannenbaum (Intel)'s picture

What you're seeing is an artifact of thetiming of the acquisition of Cilk Arts by Intel. Theacquistion was completed relatively late in the 12.0 developement cycle, so we had to scramble to get everything in in time. Our first priority was to work the Cilk technology into the Intel compiler and get the new runtimes working and stable on Windows and Linux.

We debated what to do with Cilkscreen and Cilkview. Existing Intel tools provided analogous functionality; Inspector provides much of the same functionality as Cilkscreen (and a whole lot more!). Advisor provides much of the scalability analysis of Cilkview, but in a different fashion. Unfortunately, they didn't have the spare time in their development cycles to support Cilk in the 12.0 timeframe.

As a result, we decided on a two prong strategy.We ported the the Cilk Arts tools to theIntel compiler to provide the functionality quickly and merged the functionality into the Intel tools where they fit.

As Georg noted, Cilkscreen and Cilkview are available as a free download. Cilk Plus is implemented by the Intel compiler for both C and C++, so Cilkscreen and Cilkview support code in either language.

The existing Intel tools were enhanced after the release of 12.0to provide the same functionality with all theGUI bells and whistles to help you locate the problems.

I'll forward the suggestion thatwe reconsider the packaging to the appropriate people.

- Barry

Login to leave a comment.