Which version of the cilk++ sdk?

Which version of the cilk++ sdk?

Hello,

I am experimenting with cilk as part of a project that I have to do for my studies.

For my first post here, I'd like to pose a question concerning the versions of the cilk++ sdk that are available for download from the intel website.

Following the links from the starting page, I got to http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-cilk-plus-software-develo...

Now I found this document online called "Intel_Cilk++_Programmers_Guide". Google it and you will find it. It looked like a good way to get things going with cilk++. It shows how to build an example called "qsort" using cilk++ and running it with the cilk++ runtime system.
The problem I am having is that there is no binary called "cilk++" in the sdk I downloaded and the examples are missing. I found all of this here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-intel-cilk-sdk/

The warning however tells me that this is outdated.

I am using Linux Mint 12 (lisa) and as my compiler: Intel C++ Intel 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel 64, Version 12.1 Build 20120212, sind I was having trouble installing gcc4.7, and the intel compiler seems to be working fine.

After having installed the Intel composer, I found some examples under '/opt/intel/composer_xe_2011_sp1.9.293/Samples/en_US/C++/cilk_samples' which I was able to compile after fixing some library/include paths, so not really a problem.

My question is, since I can only find cilkscreen and cilkview in the bin folder of the "newest" cilk++ sdk, is the cilk++ binary something that no longer exists and shouldn't be used? Or is this new sdk just an addon for the previous version which can be downloaded in the second link I posted?

Cheers,
Chris

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

It's time for a history lesson:

• Cilk was developed for many years at MIT. That version is generally referred to as "MIT Cilk". It is an implementation of C with Cilk extensions. It may still be available from MIT.
  • About 5 years ago, Cilk Arts acquired the rights to the Cilk intellectual property and created "Cilk++,"an extension of C++. Cilk++ was available for both Windows (as a wrapper around Microsoft's C/C++ compiler) and Linux as a modified version of gcc 4.2, named cilk++. In August of 2010, Intel acquired Cilk Arts. As a stop-gap measure, Intel released Cilk++ as a "what if" project. It is unsupported software and getting long in the tooth. In particular, there are versions of Linux which will notrun it. We have no plans to make any additional releases of Cilk++.
  • The Cilk technology has been incorporated into the Intel C/C++ compiler. "Intel Cilk Plus" was released in Composer 12.0. It is the combination of Cilk and the extensions for array notations to help get the best out of the vectorizer. About a 6 months ago, Intel started working on the "cilkplus" branch of gcc. This merges the Intel Cilk Plus features into gcc 4.7.

Please try to use the correct name for the product. Confusing the names makes it more difficult for us to understand your problem.

Cilkscreen (a race detector Cilk programs) and Cilkview (a scalability analyzer) were originally created by Cilk Arts and bundled with Cilk++. Due to scheduling constraints, we were unable to merge the functionality into the equivalent Intel tools, so we released Cilkscreen and Cilkview for Intel Cilk Plus as the "Cilk Plus SDK."

So to answer your question, the cilk++ compiler is unsupported. We do not recommend using it. If you have Intel Composer or ComposerXE, you have Intel Cilk Plus. Cilkscreen and Cilkview for Intel Cilk Plus are available for free from the Intel Cilk Plus SDK page.

- Barry

Thank you Barry for taking your time to answer my question in such detail. Very interesting, this will also help me with my summary.
Great answer!

Cheers,
Chris

Login to leave a comment.