Support for AMD Platform

Support for AMD Platform

Hi all,
Does Intel Parallel Studio support AMD Processors????

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - prakointel
Hi all,
Does Intel Parallel Studio support AMD Processors????

Hi,

Bysome general meaning of 'software support' - it doesn't, meaning that we do not test the software on AMD platforms and we do not commit to investigate specific issues with AMD platforms.
However, if you take a look at Release Notes, you will see that Parallel Studio can work on "compatible non-Intel processor" if it's IA-32 or Intel 64 architecture and it supports the Intel Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (Intel SSE2) instructions (which is true for most AMD processors). So, you might want to try the tool on AMD platform and most probably it will work fine there.

-Vladimir

Thanks Vladimir,
But you say that it 'might' work fine. My application is a VC++ application and i use AMD Opteron 4-core PC. Before i download Intel Parallel Studio i wanted to make sure if the tool would work fine on AMD Processors. Coz some of the other Intel tools dont really support applications on AMD Platforms.

Quoting - prakointel
Thanks Vladimir,
But you say that it 'might' work fine. My application is a VC++ application and i use AMD Opteron 4-core PC. Before i download Intel Parallel Studio i wanted to make sure if the tool would work fine on AMD Processors. Coz some of the other Intel tools dont really support applications on AMD Platforms.

The tools that explicitly do not support AMD processors (like VTune, PTU) are exploiting microarchitecture performance counters which are not present in non-Intel processors. Those tools use specific drivers for controlling performance counters on the kernel level. Parallel Studio does not use specific CPU hardware and drivers, so there is nothing inside the tool that would explicitly prevent from running on non-Intel CPU.

-Vladimir

Thx Vladimir

Quoting - prakointel

Thx Vladimir

Please also checktop 5 asked questions (including this topic)via Intel Parallel Studio webinars Q&A.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=66778

Thanks,
Ying

Hi,

My colleagues pointed me out that there is a better answer to the topic question. Here it is:

Intel Parallel Studio supports any PC based on an IA-32 or Intel 64 architecture based processor or compatible processor supporting the Intel Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (Intel SSE2) instructions, running the supported OS and versions of Visual Studio. Any failure to work properly in such an environment is an issue we would like to hear about so we can explore it. Examination of a binary containing non-intel compatible instructions may cause failure by the analysis tools - Intel Parallel Inspector and Intel Parallel Amplifier. Please give IntelParallel Studio an evaluation try and let us know what you think.

-Vladimir

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today