SP1 removed Amplifier and Inspector from VS2008

SP1 removed Amplifier and Inspector from VS2008

Hello,

I've upgraded my Parallel Studio setup, which was Composer 2 Update 2, Amplifier Update 2 and Inspector Update 2, to Studio SP1. However, after installing it, both Amplifier and Inspector disappeared from Visual Studio 2008. They're not listed under "About" either. Only Composer Update 3 isavailable.

I've tried repairing the installation with no success. The installer sayseverything is installed, but it does not seem to be the case.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and VS 2008 SP1.

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Ricardo,
This is strange as I am not able to reproduce on my system here. Well, could you please attach the following files so our installation folks can investigate and take a look?

%TEMP%parallel_studio_install.log
%TEMP%parallel_studio_install.log_issa

%TEMP%Inspector_install.log
%TEMP%Inspector_install.log_issa

%TEMP%Amplifier_install.log
%TEMP%Amplifier_install.log_issa

-thanks,
Kittur

Quoting - Kittur Ganesh (Intel)

Hi Ricardo,
This is strange as I am not able to reproduce on my system here. Well, could you please attach the following files so our installation folks can investigate and take a look?

%TEMP%parallel_studio_install.log
%TEMP%parallel_studio_install.log_issa

%TEMP%Inspector_install.log
%TEMP%Inspector_install.log_issa

%TEMP%Amplifier_install.log
%TEMP%Amplifier_install.log_issa

-thanks,
Kittur

I've attached the requested files. The Parallel Studio log seems to be from the Repair attempt, but the Inspector/Amplifier logs are from the standalone updates (Update 2) that I've installed some time ago. The SP1 installer didn't seem to touch them.

Thanks.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download install_logs.zip1.81 MB

Thanks for the attachment Ricardo. I'll let you know as soon as I've any update from investigation, or may ping you for more info if need be. Appreciate your patience till then.

-regards,
Kittur

Hi Ricardo,
Upon investigation, our install folks also could not reproduce on similar system. They tried different scenarios and all components from SP1 integrated nicely. I tried and couldn't reproduce also.

So, the option for you to try is this. Could you uninstall the existing installed studio on your system and reinstall afresh and see if the install goes through fine. And, once it does, you may try and see if the install again repeats the issue you have? That's the recommendation I have for now (based on discussion I had with peers). Could you please let me know what you find? Appreciate your patience through this.....

-Cheers,
Kittur

Hi Ricardo,
Upon investigation, our install folks also could not reproduce on similar system. They tried different scenarios and all components from SP1 integrated nicely. I tried and couldn't reproduce also.

So, the option for you to try is this. Could you uninstall the existing installed studio on your system and reinstall afresh and see if the install goes through fine. And, once it does, you may try and see if the install again repeats the issue you have? That's the recommendation I have for now (based on discussion I had with peers). Could you please let me know what you find? Appreciate your patience through this.....

-Cheers,
Kittur

Hi Kittur,

While trying to reinstall Studio SP1, I've noticed that the computer restarts automaticallyhalf way through the installation. I remembered that this also happened when I tried installing it for the first time.

Looking at the system events log, I've found this entry:

"The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Intel Integrated Performance Primitives for applications running on IA-32, version 6.1.071'."

The setup does not continue after restarting, though. There are some error messages in the parallel_studio_install.log file, soI've attached it to this post.

Thanks for your attention,
Ricardo

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download parallel_studio_install.zip794.17 KB

Hi Ricardo,
Thanks, I'll pass on the log file to our install team for further investigation. Before I do that, can you let me know if you removed previous Studio installation and did a fresh install?
-thanks,
Kittur

Hi Ricardo,
Thanks, I'll pass on the log file to our install team for further investigation. Before I do that, can you let me know if you removed previous Studio installation and did a fresh install?
-thanks,
Kittur

Yes, actually only "Intel Parallel Composer Update 3" was listed under Programs and Features. I've removed it before running the SP1 setup.

Ricardo, I've passed on the log files that you attached again to the installation team and will get back to you as soon as I've an update for you, thanks.
-regards,
Kittur

Best Reply

Hi Ricardo,
I got an update from our installation team as follows:

"The user had rebooted in the middle of installation progress, because he has IPP documentation opened (locked) at installation progress time. So, installation rebooted automatically without user notification (which is installation bug that will be looked at). In this particluar case, the user was in the middle of upgrade, so Amplifier and Inspector were not installed. Please inform user to close documentation items, uninstall remaining items from Add/Remove Programs and start the product installation again"

Ricardo,based on the above,please close all documentation windows, uninstall any studio components you may have, and may be re-boot and start a fresh install. This should hopefully fix this issue.

Let me know how it goes, thanks much

-regards,
Kittur

Hi Ricardo,
I got an update from our installation team as follows:

"The user had rebooted in the middle of installation progress, because he has IPP documentation opened (locked) at installation progress time. So, installation rebooted automatically without user notification (which is installation bug that will be looked at). In this particluar case, the user was in the middle of upgrade, so Amplifier and Inspector were not installed. Please inform user to close documentation items, uninstall remaining items from Add/Remove Programs and start the product installation again"

Ricardo,based on the above,please close all documentation windows, uninstall any studio components you may have, and may be re-boot and start a fresh install. This should hopefully fix this issue.

Let me know how it goes, thanks much

-regards,
Kittur

I've followed those steps and finallygot itworking. I'd like to thank you and theinstall team for your fast replies andfiguringout the problem. Your help is much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Ricardo

Great, nice to hear that it worked. In the meantime, as soon as the team fixes the issue of installation rebooting automatically without user notification. this problem shouldn't happen anyways. Again, appreciate your patience and quick reponse too through this.

-Cheers,
Kittur

Hi Ricardo,
The developers have fixed this issue in the code, and will update further as soon as the next release with the fix is out, just FYI
-regards
Kittur

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today