Problems using intel parallel studio 2011

Problems using intel parallel studio 2011

Hi,
i' ve been using compaq visual fortran developer studio to work on a simple FEM program. I have installed Parallel studio and can't run the program i have created.
I have already replaced all USE DFLIB with USE IFQWIN, IFCORE, IFPORT.
Here is a ziped version of my FEM Program, as i have created it on Compaq Developer Studio:
FEM_Hook_4827.zip
I even tried to run the simpliest "hello world" program and can't make it work either.
I apreciate your help.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Would you please tell me the name of the installer file you downloaded? We have two similarly-named products. Intel Parallel Studio contains only a C/C++ compiler. Intel Parallel Studio XE includes Intel Visual Fortran. If you in fact installed Intel Parallel Studio, there is no support for Fortran in that product.

If you did install Intel Parallel Studio XE, please tell me what goes wrong when you try to run the program. What error messages do you get? Does the program even compile? If not, what errors are given?

I also suggest that you read Migrating from Compaq Visual Fortran. If you need help on using Intel Visual Fortran, please ask in the Fortran forum section.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

I have installed the trial edition of "Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011 with VS 2010". I have created a new project, and replaced all use dflib with use ifqwin.
I have ziped also a simplier similar program i also created with compaq (no need to run a more complicated program since i get the same errors as the previous one):
FEM_2011.zip
I press Start Debugging (F5) button and
here are the 12 errors i get back:

1. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _setwindow referenced in function _DEFINE_COORDINATES (Start.obj)
2. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _setbkcolorrgb referenced in function _DEFINE_COLORS (Start.obj)
3. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _setcolorrrgb referenced in function _DEFINE_COLORS (Start.obj)
4. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _settextcolorrgb referenced in function _DEFINE_COLORS (Start.obj)
5. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _waitonmouseeventqq referenced in function _WAIT (Start.obj)
6. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _NUL referenced in function _SETUP_MENU (Setup_Menu.obj)
7. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _insertmenuqq referenced in function _SETUP_MENU (Setup_menu.obj)
8. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _appendmenuqq referenced in function _SETUP_MENU (Setup_Menu.obj)
9. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _ellipse_w referenced in function _DRAW_GEOMETRY (Draw_Geometry.obj)
10. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _f_moveto_w referenced in function _DRAW_GEOMETRY (Draw_Geometry.obj)
11. error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _lineto_w referenced in function _DRAW_GEOMETRY (Draw_Geometry.obj)
12. fatal error LNK1120:11: 11 unresolved externals

Here is also "hello World":
My_First_Project.zip

And the error mesage is:
'My_First_Project.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\user\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\My_First_Project\My_First_Project\Debug\My_First_Project.exe', Symbols loaded.
'My_First_Project.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'My_First_Project.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'My_First_Project.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'My_First_Project.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The program '[2820] My_First_Project.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Thanks a lot for your time and help!
Elisabeth

Ok. A problem with the forum prevents me from seeing your attachments, but I think I understand the issues.

For FEM_2011, you probably created the project as a "Console Application" but your code is assuming that the QuickWin routines are available. I suggest deleting the project and creating a new one with the project type QuickWin, then add your sources. It should build and run ok then. This is exactly the same as would be needed in CVF.

For your "Hello World" project, there are no error messages. The "Loaded" messages are just informational and can be ignored. The last message says that the program exited successfully. As with CVF, if you don't set a breakpoint in the program and start wtith the debugger, the program will run and exit, causing the output window to disappear. You can use CTL-F5 (Start without debugging) to have the console window stay around until you close it - exactly as in CVF.

If you need more help, please ask in the Fortran for Windows forum section. This forum is for the C/C++-only Parallel Studio.

yeah! Its working perfectly, thank you so much! I haven't programmed for a long time, so i couldn't remember on such details. :-)

You are welcome. Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

I have another more general question. Is there a way to create an .exe aplication that runs this program independently, at any computer? I know that at the folder "debug" that CVF creates there is an .exe file, stil it doesn't run independently. Probably because of the .txt files where i get my nummerical data to run the program?

Elisabeth

I would suggest a "Release" build. By default, this should run on any computer. The issue of where your data files are found is the same as CVF. If you run the program from within Visual Studio, the default directory for data files is the project directory, not the directory where the EXE lives. But if you simply run the program from outside Visual Studio, say by double-clicking on it, the default directory is the one with the EXE. You will need to take this into account when you distribute your application.

If you wish, you can adjust the default directory in Visual Studio by right clicking on the project, selecting Properties, then General. Set "Working Directory" to $(ConfigurationName). (Before you do this, set "Configuration" to "All Configurations".) Then click OK.

Again, if you have more questions, please ask in the Windows Fortran forum section. If you reply here, a response may be delayed.

Ok, i'll try to use your tips. Thanks once again for your time!
Elisabeth

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today