Intel MKL..?

Intel MKL..?

I just downloaded and installed Parallel Studio today..I noticed that it didn't install MKL, but installed IPP. Are we expected to install MKL on our own or is it not needed?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Best Reply

Hi,

The Intel Parallel Composer (does not include) (Intel) MKL as part of the product. (Intel) MKL is part of the Intel (C++/Fortran) Compiler Pro Edition, (the Intel Cluster Toolkit Compiler Edition) and is also (available) (by itself). You may use (Intel) MKL with Intel Parallel Composer but it is not included in the Parallel Composer product.

-regards

Kittur

Quoting - Kittur Ganesh (Intel)

Hi,

The Intel Parallel Composer doesn't contain MKL as part of the product. MKL is part of the Intel Compiler Pro Edition and is also sold separately. You may use MKL with Intel Parallel Composer but it is not included in the Parallel Composer Product.

-regards

Kittur

Hi Kittur,

Thanks. That answered my question perfectly.

Another question regarding Intel Parallel Composer (aka IPC?) is do I still need to install Vtune, thread checker, and thread profiler then? Or is it not necessary anymore.

I just want to try out the whole suite Intel products so I could understand my development flow.

Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks much. Here's the answer to your question:

The Intel Parallel Studio enables developers to express parallelism in their applications, check for threading errors and tune for performance to take advantage of multi-core architectures.

Note that the Intel Parallel Studio includes Intel Parallel Composer, Intel Parallel Inspector, and Intel Parallel Amplifier, providing the most comprehensive set of tools for parallelism. Presently, as you noted, Intel Parallel Composer beta download is available, which speeds software development incorporating parallelism with a C/C++ compiler and comprehensive threaded libraries.

Look for e-mails announcing the other Beta availability of Intel Parallel Studio products in early 2009, including Parallel Advisor, Parallel Inspector, and Parallel Amplifier. You can sign up for the beta program for those components at:
www.intel.com/go/parallel.

Of course, existing available tools Vtune/thread-checker and profiler are compatible with Composer, but will not contain the many new features that the new set of tools for parallelism per-se (Inspector/Amplifier/Advisor) offers. Ive outlined brief descriptions of the upcoming Studio products:

* Intel Parallel Inspector is a proactive bug finder. It is a flexible tool to add reliability regardless of the choice of parallel programming models. Unlike traditional debuggers, Inspector detects hard-to-find threading errors in multi-threaded C/C++ Windows applications and does root-cause analysis for defects such as data races and deadlocks. In addition, the memory checking technology detects improper use of memory such as memory leaks, invalid memory accesses, memory corruption, using uninitialized memory, etc.

* Intel Parallel Amplifier assists in fine-tuning parallel applications for optimal performance for multicore processors by helping find unexpected serialization that limits scaling. Intel Parallel Amplifier makes it simple to quickly find multicore performance bottlenecks, for everyone-not just experts.

* Intel Parallel Advisor helps a developer understand where to add parallelism to existing source code. Feedback from the tool allows better design decisions by showing the consequences of decisions, identifying conflicts and suggesting ways to resolve conflicts

Hope the above helps!

-regards,

Quoting - Kittur Ganesh (Intel)

* Intel Parallel Inspector is a proactive bug finder. It is a flexible tool to add reliability regardless of the choice of parallel programming models. Unlike traditional debuggers, Inspector detects hard-to-find threading errors in multi-threaded C/C++ Windows applications and does root-cause analysis for defects such as data races and deadlocks. In addition, the memory checking technology detects improper use of memory such as memory leaks, invalid memory accesses, memory corruption, using uninitialized memory, etc.

* Intel Parallel Amplifier assists in fine-tuning parallel applications for optimal performance for multicore processors by helping find unexpected serialization that limits scaling. Intel Parallel Amplifier makes it simple to quickly find multicore performance bottlenecks, for everyone-not just experts.

* Intel Parallel Advisor helps a developer understand where to add parallelism to existing source code. Feedback from the tool allows better design decisions by showing the consequences of decisions, identifying conflicts and suggesting ways to resolve conflicts

Hope the above helps!

-regards,

Hi,

Will there be samples for these in the next beta? One of the most frustrating points at this moment for me is that there are examples for TBB, IPP, the compiler, but nothing for the debugger extension or inspector/amplifier/advisor. A tutorial would help understand the benefit for each as well as helping understand how oen can use them.
Of course, there might be samples somewhere, but the documentation is scarce and not well organized (and the debugger extension is not intuitive enough, beta 2 didn't even work on the N-Queens example out of the box).

Dear Matthieu,

with the Beta2 release of the Intel Parallel Composer we still had issues debugging Intel64 applications using the Intel Parallel Debugger Extension. This should however beaddressed with the latest release.

Thank you for your feedback on the quality of the documentation. This is a work in progress. I am more than happy to forward you comments and make sure that we find a way to make the documentation more comprehensive.

As far as Intel Parallel Debugger Extension usage and tutorial are concerned I would like to point you to the following article

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/parallel-debugger-extension/

and blog entry

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/12/17/debugging-heavily-threa...

The example scenario used in the article is based on N-Queens.

For the Intel Inspector andIntel Amplifier components of the Intel ParallelStudio I will forward your input to my colleagues. Are there more specific tutorial and documentation shortcomings beyond those you mentioned you would like us to escalate?

Thanks, Rob

Quoting - Robert MuellerAlbrecht (Intel)

As far as Intel Parallel Debugger Extension usage and tutorial are concerned I would like to point you to the following article

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/parallel-debugger-extension/

and blog entry

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/12/17/debugging-heavily-threa...

The example scenario used in the article is based on N-Queens.

For the Intel Inspector andIntel Amplifier components of the Intel ParallelStudio I will forward your input to my colleagues. Are there more specific tutorial and documentation shortcomings beyond those you mentioned you would like us to escalate?

Thanks, Rob

Hi,

Thank you for the answer.

I indeed saw this entries, as well as some pdfs that I'm going to read in the near future. I will create a new subjet if I have some additional comments ;)

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today