Compare to existing tools

Compare to existing tools

Hi all,

I have been using Intel C++ Pro (includes IPP, MKL, and TBB) along with VTune (which includes Thread Profiler) for a while now. I sat in on the Parallel Studio webinar yesterday, but I don't see a big advantage of this new package over the existing offerings. My question is, does this new package add anything new and what are the target audiences for each suite of package? Or ... will they eventually merge?

Thanks,
Peter

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Peter,

the main reason forintroducingIntel Parallel Studio was to make parallelism easier, specifically for C++ Microsoft Visual Studio developers -so this is the target audience. As you can probably tell from experience VTune is a powerful tool but the nature of such tools is that they are sometimes not easy to use for beginners. That's why we decided to make a selection offeatures from existing products available in Parallel Studio and put focus on making them easy to use and well integrated into a widely used development environment. We also introduced some new concepts (like keywords __taskcomplete etc. in compiler and parallel debug extensions) which may eventually migrate into the other product line.
We plan to have both "Classic" and Parallel Studio tools available in parallel end expect to see benefits for both product lines by incorporating feedback from the different perspectives of their targeted user groups.
I hope this answers your question.
Regards, Thomas

Quoting - Thomas Zipplies (Intel)

Hi Peter,

the main reason forintroducingIntel Parallel Studio was to make parallelism easier, specifically for C++ Microsoft Visual Studio developers -so this is the target audience. As you can probably tell from experience VTune is a powerful tool but the nature of such tools is that they are sometimes not easy to use for beginners. That's why we decided to make a selection offeatures from existing products available in Parallel Studio and put focus on making them easy to use and well integrated into a widely used development environment. We also introduced some new concepts (like keywords __taskcomplete etc. in compiler and parallel debug extensions) which may eventually migrate into the other product line.
We plan to have both "Classic" and Parallel Studio tools available in parallel end expect to see benefits for both product lines by incorporating feedback from the different perspectives of their targeted user groups.
I hope this answers your question.
Regards, Thomas

Thank you for the reply. It does make sense (some existing tool features are so powerful they are very difficult to use/understand), but I also look forward to some new development making it into existing products such as auto IPP calling. There are times where I have not been aware of the availability of certain IPP routines for my own optimization, and a compiler directed IPP call would be great - especially if the compiler tells you about it so that your own IPP knowledge increases.

Thanks again,
Peter

I guess it would be a bit ambitious expecting the compiler to recognize the semantics of your code and suggest a matching IPP function :-) Do you have an idea what kind of constructs the compiler should recognize to try and match, or experience withexperiments in that direction?
It would sure be a very interesting approach.
Thanks, Thomas

Quoting - pvonkaenel
Hi all,

I have been using Intel C++ Pro (includes IPP, MKL, and TBB) along with VTune (which includes Thread Profiler) for a while now. I sat in on the Parallel Studio webinar yesterday, but I don't see a big advantage of this new package over the existing offerings. My question is, does this new package add anything new and what are the target audiences for each suite of package? Or ... will they eventually merge?

Thanks,
Peter

As an existing Intel C++ Pro user who only uses MKL and C++ ( not TBB or VTune) and who is not a parallel programming guru I was wondering what the compatibility of Parallel Studio is with an existing Intel C++ installation?

Quoting - pvonkaenel

Thank you for the reply. It does make sense (some existing tool features are so powerful they are very difficult to use/understand), but I also look forward to some new development making it into existing products such as auto IPP calling. There are times where I have not been aware of the availability of certain IPP routines for my own optimization, and a compiler directed IPP call would be great - especially if the compiler tells you about it so that your own IPP knowledge increases.

Thanks again,
Peter

Hi Peter, I'm the product manager for IPP and would like to hear more about your ideas for IPP and compiler integration. This is an area in which we have just begun our development with the 1st feature being the automatic replacement of C++ valarray calls with IPP functions.

Thanks for your interest and ideas,

Kent Moffat
kent.g.moffat@intel.com

Quoting - Kent Moffat (Intel)

Hi Peter, I'm the product manager for IPP and would like to hear more about your ideas for IPP and compiler integration. This is an area in which we have just begun our development with the 1st feature being the automatic replacement of C++ valarray calls with IPP functions.

Thanks for your interest and ideas,

Kent Moffat
kent.g.moffat@intel.com

Hi Kent,

Actually I heard that the Parallel Studio compiler will automatically optimize using IPP routines in Tuesday's "Go-Parallelism! Easy the Onramp for C/C++" Webinar hosted by Intel. It sounds like a great idea, but difficult to implement. That's why I was so interested in it when I heard about it during the webinar.

I guess the most interesting extension to it that I would like to see is an IPP Instructor possibly integrated with VTune that makes suggestions based on the code layout, and possibly IPP calls already found in the code. Instead of just having the compiler replace code with IPP (which may become unidentifyable with future code changes), I would like to have a built-in instructor point out possible optimizations. It's a tall order, I know, but a neat idea.

Peter

Quoting - vasci_intel
As an existing Intel C++ Pro user who only uses MKL and C++ ( not TBB or VTune) and who is not a parallel programming guru I was wondering what the compatibility of Parallel Studio is with an existing Intel C++ installation?

If you're thinking about differences in features, please see my reply to the first post in this thread. Regarding compatibility of sources and objects you can mix and match them freely, except if using keyword extensions in Parallel Studio that will be also supported with the next Compiler Pro release. Regardinginstallations, both can coexist on a single machine, but only the compiler of one installation can be integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio. The other one will be available from the command line.

Quoting - Thomas Zipplies (Intel)

If you're thinking about differences in features, please see my reply to the first post in this thread. Regarding compatibility of sources and objects you can mix and match them freely, except if using keyword extensions in Parallel Studio that will be also supported with the next Compiler Pro release. Regardinginstallations, both can coexist on a single machine, but only the compiler of one installation can be integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio. The other one will be available from the command line.

The restriction of only being able to have one of the compilers integrated with Visual Studio seems a little strange since it is possible to have multiple versions of Intel C++ Pro installed and integrated. You can select the version to use in the Visual Studio [Tools --> Options] dialog box. I currently have 11.0.066 and 11.0.072 installed and integrated, and have 11.0.072 selected as the defaultIntel compiler to use. This way I can easily switch between versions for testing purposes.

Peter

I guess in a way we're both correct: You can currently switch between different installations of Compiler Pro, but not between the compiler inParallel Studio (Beta) and any Compiler Pro version. This will change with the release of Parallel Studio and the upcoming Compiler Pro 11.1 (currently in Beta). Then you will be able to switch between compilers from Compiler Pro and Parallel Studio installations.
Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify this, Thomas

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today