about concurrency index

about concurrency index

Hello,

I have downloaded the Intel* Parallel Studio beta and worked with it for parallelizing few test applications such as Delaunay triangulation and a demo Finite element analysis application. It works great and is extremely useful. I found the amplifier extremely useful for identifying hotspots and also for checking concurrency levels of the program.

The clarification that I need is about the concurrency index that is displayed in the summary window :
After my application was parallelized, I get a different concurrency index each time I run it. This is mainly because of the time I take to actual give the inputs. If I wait for some time before I give the inputs and start the computations, the total time for which the application was running increases and this bring the concurrency index down. In my opinion, this is quite misleading since the amount of concurrency during the computations is the same.
Can you please tell me how we can measure the concurrency only during the intensive computations ?

Also can you please tell me how I can get to know more about the Intel* Parallel Advisor. The objective of this tool interests me a lot since all hotspots need not be necessarily areas that need parallelization.

Thanksvery much.

Regards,
Balaji

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi.

You can configure the analysis run to launch the application but start collecting data after some delay. This is useful if you do not want to include all the warm-up activities in the analysis results or you want the data collection to start when a specific event occurs (for example, message box or mouse click).

To start profiling with data collection paused, do the following:

1. In the Solution Explorer, right-click the project to open the pop-up menu.

2. Select Intel Parallel Amplifier > Project Properties.

3. Check the Start data collection paused box.

4. Optional: Specify the number of seconds to wait before starting data collection in the Resume collection after, sec. text box. The default delay is 10 seconds. This option is especially recommended for full-screen applications.

If you do not specify the delay time in the Project Properties dialog box, you will have to resume the data collection manually by clicking the Continue button on the Amplifier toolbar.

Start data collection paused: Check this box to start the application with the data collection paused and resume data collection after the number of seconds you set in the Resume collection after text box. You can also resume the data collection manually by clicking the Continue button on the Amplifier toolbar.

Resume collection after: Specify the number of seconds that should pass between starting the analysis run and starting the data collection. The default value is 10 seconds. Specify enough time for the application to fill up the caches and start working as efficiently as possible.

Regards,
Corey

Quoting - balaji_ram

Also can you please tell me how I can get to know more about the Intel* Parallel Advisor. The objective of this tool interests me a lot since all hotspots need not be necessarily areas that need parallelization.

Thanksvery much.
Regards,
Balaji

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Intel Parallel Advisor. We are planning to make Advisor-Lite available in Q209 on whatif.intel.com so please watch the Intel software products websites (http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-sdp-home/) and whatif.intel.com for updates about the Intel Parallel Advisor.

BTW, you can register for two webinars on May 5 & 12 at:
https://event.on24.com/event/36/88/3/rt/1/index.html

1. The Key to Scaling Applications for Multicore (May 5 - 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time) This is found under Parallel Studio tab.

2. Identify and Address Threading Opportunities (May 12 - 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time) This is found under Parallel Studio Technical Sessions tab.

Regards,
Corey

Quoting - Corey Alsamariae (Intel)

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Intel Parallel Advisor. We are planning to make Advisor-Lite available in Q209 on whatif.intel.com so please watch the Intel software products websites (http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-sdp-home/) and whatif.intel.com for updates about the Intel Parallel Advisor.

BTW, you can register for two webinars on May 5 & 12 at:
https://event.on24.com/event/36/88/3/rt/1/index.html

1. The Key to Scaling Applications for Multicore (May 5 - 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time) This is found under Parallel Studio tab.

2. Identify and Address Threading Opportunities (May 12 - 9:00 am Pacific Daylight Time) This is found under Parallel Studio Technical Sessions tab.

Regards,
Corey

Hello Corey,

Thanks very much.
Pause option for collecting data helps me in gettingbetter concurrencyresults.

Regards,
Balaji

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today