Mac version planned?

Mac version planned?

Michael Stauffer's picture

Hi,

Is there a plan for an OSX version of Parallel Studio? I'm working on an app for Win and Mac. Cheers
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
vladimir-tsymbal (Intel)'s picture
Quoting - Michael Stauffer Hi, Is there a plan for an OSX version of Parallel Studio? I'm working on an app for Win and Mac. Cheers

Sorry, but there are no plans to support OS X at the moment.

-Vladimir
Quoting - Vladimir Tsymbal (Intel)

Sorry, but there are no plans to support OS X at the moment.

OK, good to know. Bummer, though. If I use TBB for both Win and Mac, would it be reasonable to use Parallel Studio on Win to check/optimize my code and then use the code on Mac and expect pretty similar behavior? Cheers
Quoting - Michael Stauffer If I use TBB for both Win and Mac, would it be reasonable to use Parallel Studio on Win to check/optimize my code and then use the code on Mac and expect pretty similar behavior?

Well, I would't say this is that straightforward. No doubts, algorithm-level optimization will work fine on Mac as well if achieved on Windows. TBB does great job here in terms of portability.
But if you tune lower level matter, like fine-grain sycronization depending on sheduler implementations, you'll most probably observe some different behaviour because of different threading implementations (TBB wraps native threading API) and OS schedulers difference.

-Vladimir
Quoting - Vladimir Tsymbal (Intel)

Well, I would't say this is that straightforward. No doubts, algorithm-level optimization will work fine on Mac as well if achieved on Windows. TBB does great job here in terms of portability.
But if you tune lower level matter, like fine-grain sycronization depending on sheduler implementations, you'll most probably observe some different behaviour because of different threading implementations (TBB wraps native threading API) and OS schedulers difference.

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
Quoting - Michael Stauffer Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.

Thank you for asking.

-Vladimir
pramodblackbird's picture
Mac version would be great:-)

Login to leave a comment.