intel fortran compiler under redhat 8.0 linux

intel fortran compiler under redhat 8.0 linux

pere's picture

i've tried to use intel fortran compiler for linux in my redhat box, i've got redhat 8.0 with kernel 2.4.18-14 and gcc-3.2.7, it installed without problems, but after setting up enviroment variables (with ifcvars.csh) and trying to compile with ifc, i get this error message:

/usr/lib/crt1.o: In function `_start':
/usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `main'

is it an incompatibility with my libryries (coming from my redhat installation?)

how can i solve this and make fortran intel compiler work?

thanks!!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

Intel Fortran is not yet supported under RH8, though I don't know if the particular issue you're having is due to this. An update coming out in April will add RH8 support.

Steve

Steve
Martyn Corden (Intel)'s picture

The message means what it says, the linker found no main program. It can happen, for example, if you just type
ifc -V without a filename, just to get the compiler version number. If you compile a hello world example from the documentation, the message should go away. You might like to look at the Getting Started Guide at www.intel.com/software/products/compilers/flin

Martyn

pere's picture

ups!

i updted my ifc installation to 7.1.008 (announced to support already redhat 8.0)... i set up the enviromental variables with ifcvars.csh and tried to compile hello.f, as explained in the "getting started guide"... ifc failed to compile, this are the error messages which i can't really understand:

---------------------
>ifc hello.f -o hello
main program

PROGRAM HELLO_WORLD
^
Error 14 at (1:hello.f) : invalid label field
^
Error 15 at (1:hello.f) : invalid continuation line
^
Error 7 at (1:hello.f) : incomplete statement

PRINT *, 'HELLO WORLD!'
^
Warning 53 at (2:hello.f) : This form of binary, octal or hex constant is an extension to standard Fortran 95
^
Error 20 at (2:hello.f) : invalid octal constant
^
Warning 34 at (2:hello.f) : Use of a binary, octal or hex constant here is an extension to standard Fortran 95

END PROGRAM HELLO_WORLD
^
Error 16 at (3:hello.f) : label field must be blank
^
Error 24 at (3:hello.f) : syntax error
Error 38 : END statement is missing

7 Errors
compilation aborted for hello.f (code 1)
---------------------

pere's picture

also.. thanks everyone for the help!! ;)

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

If you name the file with a .F or .f file type, fixed-form source is assumed, which means columns 1-5 are for statement numbers only and column 6 is for continuation.

Try renaming your file with a .f90 file type - it will probably be happier.

Steve

Steve

Login to leave a comment.