error caused glibc version!

error caused glibc version!

Hi,
I install the intel fortran on my Fedora 8 which is 2.8.* of glibc version. It occured an error message that intel fortran support 2.6.* version?
How can I install the fortran program? Wait until the program support the 2.8.* version?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The installer will give a warning when it doesn't recognize the glibc version as supported. I assume you are talking about the menu where it asks do you want to proceed with unsupported installation. You can check the yes box and proceed at your own risk.

Then, if I check the 'yes', are there any other problem to using fortran caused by glibc version?? I think that it won't be fully installed.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

You need a more recent version of Intel Fortran. The current version, 10.1.014 supports FC8.

Steve

My version is 10.1.015. This is the latest version I know.

With some of the newer distros, the warning comes up erroneously. Maybe the criteria for the warning weren't updated. If you check yes, and the compiler install-time tests report successful completion, it's reasonable to believe the compiler is fully installed.
As FC8 is officially supported for the version you are installing, you should get full support, including processing of any bug report you may have to make.

OK..here are some facts:

1. Fedora 8 came with glibc 2.6
2. Fedora 8 updates updated glibc to 2.7
3. There is no glibc 2.8 for Fedora 8, it is for Fedora 9.

Ifort install scripts did not update the possibility of having F8 with
glibc 2.7 since the original F8 was with 2.6. They should do this so
that messages don't show up.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

Oh, and to save everyone time, FC9 is supposed to be out in a few weeks. Don't expect ifort to like it until some time in the future.

Steve

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)
Oh, and to save everyone time, FC9 is supposed to be out in a few weeks. Don't expect ifort to like it until some time in the future.

I am tryinbg to install Ifort 10.1.018 on fedora 9 with glibc 2.8.This is the latest version of Ifort available. Does ifort support this version of glibc.

Vaibhav

Quoting - vaibhav.k.agarwal@gmail.com

I am tryinbg to install Ifort 10.1.018 on fedora 9 with glibc 2.8.This is the latest version of Ifort available. Does ifort support this version of glibc.

Vaibhav

As mentioned above, you would have to accept the unsupported installation, acknowledging that the combination wasn't tested. The 11.0 beta version of ifort mentioned at the top of the forum may be a little older than your 10.1, but it should not give the unsupported indication. You won't get full support for fc9 until 11.0 is released.

Quoting - tim18

As mentioned above, you would have to accept the unsupported installation, acknowledging that the combination wasn't tested. The 11.0 beta version of ifort mentioned at the top of the forum may be a little older than your 10.1, but it should not give the unsupported indication. You won't get full support for fc9 until 11.0 is released.

I tried to go on with unsupported installation but it fails in the Installation script. When you are expecting the releas of version 11.0? I will try with 11.0. beta. Where I get the 11.0 beta version?

Quoting - vaibhav.k.agarwal@gmail.com

I tried to go on with unsupported installation but it fails in the Installation script. When you are expecting the releas of version 11.0? I will try with 11.0. beta. Where I get the 11.0 beta version?

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showannouncement.php?a=

from the announcement about 11.0 beta at the top of this forum.

The current 10.1 installers should not hang. Early versions might have required this work-around: find a lower level script, typically data/install_fc; invoke it with the --run argument (double minus run)

./install_fc --run

Quoting - tim18

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showannouncement.php?a=

from the announcement about 11.0 beta at the top of this forum.

The current 10.1 installers should not hang. Early versions might have required this work-around: find a lower level script, typically data/install_fc; invoke it with the --run argument (double minus run)

./install_fc --run

I am able to install the 10.1 version. but in the testing it fails.

In what way specifically does it fail?

Are you using a small test program or larger application?

Quoting - Kevin Davis (Intel)

In what way specifically does it fail?

Are you using a small test program or larger application?

I was trying with a hello world program and it was crashing. I later on found that it is failing because of missing libstdc++.so.5 for i386 machines. The problem was fixed after I install i386 version library of libstadc++.so.5.

Can You please tell why it is using i386 version of libstdc++.so.5 for x86_64 machine and OS?

Vaibhav

tim18 posted an explanation to this thread earlier this morning, however due to server issues requiring a restore to an earlier backup it was lost.

The short answer is the compiler use the compatibility version of the Standard C++ library to permit the use of the compilers on GCC* 3.2-based Linux* distributions. It uses the 32-bit version because the compiler itself is a 32-bit executable.

You should have seen a warning during the installation that the required /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 library was missing/needed.

There is information in the Release notes, many discussions in this forum about this library, and in our Knowledge base. Three Knowledge base articles are available discussing this in detail. Article 1, Article 2, Article 3

Login to leave a comment.