Integer(4) :: dummy

!DEC$   ATTRIBUTES ALIGN: 4096 :: CBLK
        Common/CBLK/ dummy
      End Module ModA

Program CrashProgram
      Use ModA
      Call ModA_Sub()
      end Program CrashProgram

Compile with "ifort -extend-source 132 -assume nounderscore -assume nobscc -align dcommons -static-libgcc -zero -fp-port -save -c -fpe0 -ftz -prec-div -fp-stack-check -ccdefault fortran -traceback -fp-model precise -xSSE2 -axSSE2 -g -debug full -debug-parameters -check bounds -O0 -m32 Crash.for"

"Crash.for: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation
violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the
circumstances in whcih it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note:
File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error."

Removing the page-align directive eliminates the crash.

Intel Fortran Compiler XE for applications running on IA-32, Version 12.0.1.107 Build 20101116

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

For some reason, the syntax highlighter removed the first part of Line 7. It should read:

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES ALIGN: 4096 :: CBLK

The END SUBROUTINE is also missing, but if I add that I can reproduce the problem. Thanks - I will escalate this to development. Issue ID is DPD200169285.

I found that the use of the subroutine was not required - even putting the common at the top level of the module triggered the error. Might you be able to use an ALLOCATABLE array in the module and an ATTRIBUTES ALIGN on that? You would need to allocate it at the start of the program but otherwise it should not require code changes.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

The syntax highlighter did not remove the first part; if you choose "view plain" you will see that the line is intact.

I agree that it is annoying that the line gets mangled when seen in the browser. Similarly, leading blanks in the first line of code added using the syntax highlighter are not shown. I wish Intel would show us at least a work-around to avoid such problems (what-you-see-is-not-what-you-have and vice versa).

I know the syntax highlighter has issues. We're using an open source module for this with Fortran-specific definitions I provided. I don't understand why it corrupts lines sometimes. It is being worked on.

The internal compiler error has been fixed for an update later this year. However, the ALIGN directive will be ignored for a COMMON in a module. A future version will enable that feature.

The "future version" will be released later this year.

Login to leave a comment.