xiar error when using IPO. Fix?

xiar error when using IPO. Fix?

The steps at the end of this post will result in the xiar error:

# xiar cr libslatec.a *.o
error: can't open file /tmp/xiariEvdns_ipo/qagie.o for write
xiar: error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 1)

I have been able to duplicate this on seperate systems with 4GB and 64GB RAM and lots of disk space. When I change -ipo to -ip below there is no error. How do I fix this? What am I doing wrong?

- Henrik

-----

Centos 6.2
Linux ... 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 ... x86_64 GNU/Linux
ifort version 12.1.3

-----

wget http://www.netlib.org/slatec/slatec_src.tgz
wget http://www.netlib.org/slatec/slatec4linux.tgz
tar zxf slatec_src.tgz
cd src
tar zxf ../slatec4linux.tgz

ifort -O3 -ipo -fp-model precise -c *.f
xiar cr libslatec.a *.o

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I will try reproducing the error and post again when I know more.

Were you able to duplicate the problem?

- Henrik

Yes, exactly. The xiar step is creating a lot of temp directories and files. It does appear to be a compiler/xiar issue and nothing tied tofile system. The file system that I am using has significant available space/i-nodes.

I will keep you updated if I am able to find a work around.

I founda work around that Development confirmed is valid. You can avoid the error by adding smaller groups of files into the archive at one time. I found the following works:

xiar cr libslatec.a [a-m]*.o
xiar cr libslatec.a [n-z]*.o

I directed the original test case to Development for further investigation and future remedy (internal tracking id below) and will keep you updated on the status as I learn it.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200181349)

(Resolution Update on 10/14/2012): This defect is fixed in the Intel® Fortran Composer XE 2013 Initial Release (2013.0.0.079 - Linux)

So I downloaded 2011 Update 10, but the problem still apears present. Any ideas when it will be fixed?Thanks, - Henrik

I do not have an ETA on any fix yet. Development is still investigating the root cause. I will update the thread as I learn more.

The root cause has been identified and fixed. The fix will be available in our next major release scheduled for late this year. The fix will not be available for the Fortran Composer XE 2011 release, so the earlier work around will be necessary with that release.

"Late" or "later" this year? The number and nature of issues reported as fixed in this next major release is such that the distinction in intent between those two words has become rather material.

Third quarter of 2012.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

This defect is fixed in the Intel® Fortran Composer XE 2013 Initial Release (2013.0.0.079 - Linux)

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today