Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).

Fatal: There has been an internal compiler error (C0000005).

Community Admin's picture

Steve,

I'm using 6.6B and I still get this error occasionally. You can work around it by adding/removing blank lines until the code compiles.

This bug has been apparent in most of the CVF implementations I've used, from 5.0 onwards. I don't recall seeing it with 6.6A, but it seems quite tempramental anyways, so I can't say it wasn't there.

It's not a real biggie, but it does bugger up our autobuilds occasionally.

Not sure if you can tell anything from the source file, but I've attached it anyway.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

This message is a generic one that means the compiler got an access violation during compilation. This is always a compiler bug, but not a single bug - it can be caused by any of a number of problems.

The proper place to report CVF compiler problems is vf-support@compaq.com Please send your example there, and we'll be glad to take a look at it.

Steve

Steve

When you do submit it, be sure to include all the necessary INCLUDE files - your ZIP here doesn't.

Steve

Steve

Steve, well there's the rub....due to the nature of our program there are a huge number of include files (250+), most of which are referenced (if not used) by each piece of code. Anyway, I'll see if I can chop out a library that displays the problem...

Gah! As I thought - its too tempramental! I can't even replicate it in my original workspace. It seems consistent when it happens...I can take out/add a line and remove the error, put the line back/take it out and get the error back, but it disappears when I close and restart DevStudio....

This may or may not be relevant, but...

I currently have a sample source sent in by a customer which, when compiles, gets the internal compiler error. If I remove the first few comment lines, the error goes away.

It's now in the hands of our expert in this part of the compiler - I can't wait to hear what she says...

Steve

Steve

Well, as it happened, our front-end expert couldn't reproduce the problem, so it came back to me. Today I found the bug and we're testing the fix. It was very subtle - you'd see the failure only if one of the compiler's internal data structures was allocated right at the end of the allocated address space.

Compiling with listing files enabled is a workaround for this one. But please note - I'm referring to just one particular bug that results in the C00000005 error, one that goes away if you make trivial source changes. This error message is one issued any time the compiler gets an access violation during the source and semantic analysis phase, so that doesn't mean that EVERY case of C00000005 is the same. If you see such a problem, and it's reproducible in the current version of CVF, please send an example to vf-support@compaq.com

Steve

Steve

Hello Steve,
How do you "Compile with listing files enabled" as a workaround for the C0000005 error?
Thanks,
John

Jugoslav Dujic's picture

John,
"Internal compiler error" (ICE) is generic name for any compiler bug which happens during compile-time. The cure is always the same -- send your zipped workspace to vf-support@compaq.com. Chances that you encounter an ICE triggered by the same circumstances as mentioned in this thread are negligible. Just FYI, Steve talked about Project/Settings/Fortran/Listing files category, but chances that it will fix your problem are fairly small.

Note that C0000005 is actually the code for system "Access violation", i.e. that the application tried to access an address which it shouldn't. When accompanied with "Internal compiler error", it means that the compiler just encountered a bug in itself. If you see a C0000005 during execution of your program, it means that the error is yours.

Jugoslav

Jugoslav www.xeffort.com

Steve,

I had this error again and the listing file thing fixed it.

Is that particular issue resolved in 6.6C?

Yes, that particular bug is fixed. You can get a copy of the fixed compiler here. In order to use this, you must have CVF 6.6B (not any other version and not the evaluation version). Unpack it to the Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioDF98BIN folder. This replaces just the compiler with a newer version. 6.6C will supersede that.

Steve

Steve

Steve,

I just had this error reported from one of our customers, he said he cleared it by setting the 'use FPP' option on the specific file before compilation.

This is just a FYI, I don't know (yet) if the error is repeatable.

Dan

Anything that changes the allocated memory layout of the compiler can make this bug seem to disappear, including changing the contents of the compiled source in any way.

Steve

Steve

Hello Judd,
I was wondering if you heard of any fixes for the C000005 error or how you have fixed it?
Thanks,
John

Login to leave a comment.