DEVStudio installation problem

DEVStudio installation problem

rahzan's picture

I recently uninstalled all of CVF and reinstalled it from the CD, then two other upgrades to get to 6.6B.

Only after much work to restore the toobars, workspaces and the macros, I have just found out that the DFDEV crashes on the FILE-OPEN (which includes "add file into project") by accessing 0x0 in memory.

Is there a way to install DFDEV without losing all this work a second time?

Thanks, Tim

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

I doubt a reinstall will help, and no, you can't do a selective reinstall. Delete the .OPT file in your project - that will probably do the trick. If not, let me know, there are a couple of other things one can do.

Steve

Steve
rahzan's picture

I did the OPT file delete on a dummy porject but it did not help. It crashes without any projects open.

FYI, I've tested all other file menu and few other menu options and none crash the DFDEV app.

Also windows file open seems to run ok from other app's like text editors etc.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

Ok - I'm guessing that your "much work to restore the toolbars", etc., is triggering this problem. It isn't actually the File..Open operation, but Developer Studio trying to figure out what the new display should look like.

I know you'll hate this, but I suggest you exit Developer Studio, open REGEDIT and delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftDevStudio6.0 registry key. Then restart Developer Studio. You'll lose all your customizations and will have to add them back through the Developer Studio menus. Start slowly...

Steve

Steve
gregscvf's picture

Tim,
As you begin to rebuild, you may want to periodically save your results at safe points. Under REGEDIT, issue Registry, Export Registry file, when that same key is selected (HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftDevStudio6.0).
Then if anything bombs out, you can return to the safe point by issuing Registry, Import Registry file.
This may be useful for any user under normal operation, whenever toolbar changes are made.
Greg

Jugoslav Dujic's picture

I suspect that screwed items in the "Layout" key could be the culprit - try deleting this one first (note that contents of toolbars are kept there (probably)). As Greg pointed out, you can make export of registry branches and save/restore one by one until it starts working.

Jugoslav

Jugoslav www.xeffort.com
rahzan's picture

Steve,
I tried what you said, but exported the Reg before hand.
Deleting the entire 6.0 key did clear out the layout, but the file-open still crashes the app. This time when I hit OK on the error report, another one of the same kind comes up for an instruction at another address. On hitting OK on the second error the app closes up without a fuss. Before, it just hung after the first OK.

I imported the Reg file and that seems to have restored the 6.0 key but the layout still looks like a new install. The crashing behavior is the same as withoutthe 6.0 key. all as if the re-import did not really do anything.

Any further ideas will be appreciated.

Tim

rahzan's picture

Correction ,
The re-import of registry key did not really work (I had exported th wrong key thinking I had exported the 6.0 Key), so scratch the comments about re-import not restoring what I had.

Still the main idea did not seem to be the solution.

Tim

rahzan's picture

Installing the msDevstudio Service pack 5 fixed the problem.

Tim

Login to leave a comment.