Try the CVF 6.6B Update!

Try the CVF 6.6B Update!

A "Release candidate 1" for the CVF 6.6B update is available and I'm asking for interested volunteers to try it out and let me know if any problems are found. This can be applied to systems with CVF 6.6 or 6.6A installed. The software itself has undergone our full release testing and should not introduce new problems (it will fix many!) I'm more interested in whether or not the installation of the update goes smoothly for everyone.

Please reply here with success/fail comments and any questions you might have. Please do not publicize this update outside of this forum - I'll announce it in the proper places once we're confident it's ok.

6.6B Update (5.43MB)
Release Notes (HTML in ZIP archive)

Thanks.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support
17 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

It installed without difficulty, on Windows 2000 SP3, on a 2nd-hand IBM T20 laptop and on a 3rd-hand P4 white box.

Downloaded & installed OK
My program compiled OK.
But I cannot see anywhere that says it is version 6.6B.

David

The places to look for it saying 6.6B:

Help..About in Developer Studio
DF/WHAT from a Fortran Command Prompt

The Developer Studio splash screen wasn't updated.

Steve

Download and install OK on win2000 SP3 with MS C++

Minor typo in release notes chapter 5.1:

"return that the unit it opened" should be
"return that the unit is opened"

Installation failed for me because I had modified DFWINTY.MOD (had to fix something) and unfortunately I did not retain the original, nor does the installation ask to replace the altered file, so the installation just terminates.

James

James,

The update doesn't offer the choice of replacing the file because it doesn't contain the whole file, only the differences. You can get the original 6.6 DFWINTY here.

Steve

Steve,

Ok, that makes sense. The upgrade completed without incident on XP Pro with the proper DFWINTY in place. Now hoping that the reasons I modified DFWINTY are no longer necessary... :-)

James

To all:

The 6.6B upgrade installed without problems.

One minor issue: when the installation program starts,
it displays that it will upgrade to version 6.6a.

Regards,

Jean Vezina

For some reason I keep hoping that the various MS interface definitions will be updated when the compiler is updated. We have routines for XP that are not defined in their respective modules as I have reported before. Why not use the opportunity of a compiler update to bring these definitions in line with the current Platform SDK?

James

Jean - good catch! Thanks!

James - as I'm sure you're aware, we did a massive update of the Win32 API definitions in 6.6 based on the latest definitions then available from Microsoft as of VS6-SP6. This was a large undertaking and is not something we wanted to redo for a "minor update". We did correct errors that were reported to us, but have not gone looking for new additions. I expect we'll do this for a future major release.

Steve

Steve,

Perhaps I'm the only one making such extensive use of the API, but the problem is while I understand VS6 is behind as it is an old product, us CVF people don't get the benefit of receiving updated headers like the C folks do when a new Platform SDK ships. I stopped using the LIB files shipped with CVF long ago in favor of those shipped with the PSDK, but there isn't much I can do about the Fortran sources.

While these may be minor updates, quite a lot of time passes between them, and we still have better than a year until the next major release. I hope sometime in the future you can find an automated way to synchronize the Intel/CVF include files with the shipping PSDK headers. I can only assume that presently this is process includes a lot of manual editing. If nothing else if the development team has a tool which converts the headers, maybe you could provide the tools or unedited result, unsupported of course, to save some of us who presently produce these completely by hand a little time.

James

Installed ok on my Windows XP Home Ed.

piece of cake on W2000 & W98. DaVinci

Works just fine for me:
Win2k, sp1, 6.6A->6.6B (on two different machines)

Also, an app that I wrote over the last two months in hopes of being able to use ALLOCATABLE derived types (was written w/ POINTER) works just perfectly.

To the best of anyone's knowledge is 6.6B intended to be a full implementation of TR15581?

Great Job VF team!

Matt.

Actually, we were claiming full support of TR15581 in 6.6A, but there were some bugs that got fixed in 6.6B. We know of one outstanding bug in this area that we haven't yet fixed.

Steve

Thanks to everyone who tried out the update. It's now available through our web site. No additional changes were made (other than to fix the dialog box title as noted above.)

An updated VFRUN redistributables kit is also on the FTP server - the web site will show that within a day.

Steve

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today