It is possible for Intel Power Gadget 2.0 to crash Windows

It is possible for Intel Power Gadget 2.0 to crash Windows

I sorry if it is in the wrong forum, but it is my first time

I probably cannot reproduce the problem. I am just posting that it is possible for the Intel Power Gadget to invoke BOSD. I wonder if this crash dump is useful.

I am running window 7 64 bit Home Premium Service Pack 1

Here is a small snippet of windbg

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : EzPwr.sys ( EzPwr+111e )

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except,
it must be protected by a Probe. Typically the address is just plain bad or it
is pointing at freed memory.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff88003fb2758, memory referenced.
Arg2: 0000000000000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.
Arg3: fffff88009eb011e, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory
address.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, (reserved)

I have attached the dump.

Thank You for your time

AttachmentSize
Download 071812-23072-01.dmp281.37 KB
13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Driver or thread running its code in kernel mode must not incure page fault at DPC- level IRQL.

In your case driver should have been used ProbeForRead/ProbeForWrite kernel mode function before performing any further operation on the memory.

The question is: It is possible for Intel Power Gadget 2.0 to crash Windows

>>...
>>Could not read faulting driver name
>>Probably caused by : EzPwr.sys ( EzPwr+111e )
>>...

If EzPwr.sys is Intel's driver ( please verify it... ) than answer is Yes and BSOD is your prove.

If EzPwr.sys is Intel's driver ( please verify it... ) than answer is Yes and BSOD is your prove.

Agree completely.

Citação:

iliyapolak escreveu:

Agree completely.

The computer did BSOD which I found very odd. I have an Acer 4830tg with default OEM Windows 7 64 bit home edition.

I believe EzPwr.sys is installed by default by the Intel Power Gadget.

Like I said, I cannot reproduce the crash. I only posted the crash dump for anyone who finds the BSOD interesting.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-power-checker-to-me...

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget

Sorry if I didn't reply sooner because I posted this a long time ago.

>>>The computer did BSOD which I found very odd>>> It is not very odd and should not be.Driver is executing in kernel mode where unhandled exception leads to BSOD.As I wrote in my first post driver should have used ProbeForRead/ProbeForWrite functions.

>>...Sorry if I didn't reply sooner because I posted this a long time ago...

That's not a problem and thank you for the update.

Note: Did you try to install Intel Power Gadget updates?

Citação:

Sergey Kostrov escreveu:

>>...Sorry if I didn't reply sooner because I posted this a long time ago...

That's not a problem and thank you for the update.

Note: Did you try to install Intel Power Gadget updates?

This is an old crash and I forgot most of the details. I believed it did install. After I tried to log the Watt usage of my machine, it BSOD. Of course, I cannot replicate the crash. I just updated to the new Power Gadget 2.5 and it does work for my machines. Thank You for your time. I only posted the dump to anyone who thought the crash will be interesting.

Odd. I cannot download the attachment anymore. I do not have a back up copy and cannot reproduce the error. I guess someone should close this thread.

I'm glad that you solved your problem.

Citação:

iliyapolak escreveu:

I'm glad that you solved your problem.

I didn't solve anything. I just cannot reproduce the crash in question. Like i said, I only posted the dump for those people who thought it was interesting. Since  I cannot access the dump file, then this whole thread is pointless. There is no point in continuing to comment on this thread

>>>Since  I cannot access the dump file>>>

You can open it with windbg.Regarding reproducing the crash it won't be always available because of undeterministic circumstances under which your driver will run and will be dependend on.

I told you what could be the reason for the BSOD.In order to correct it either source code of driver is needed or someone must perform reversing of the sys file.

Login to leave a comment.