Android Device Emulator- Error Message: 'Unfortunately, Launcher Has Stopped'

Android Device Emulator- Error Message: 'Unfortunately, Launcher Has Stopped'

I wonder if somebodyhad experienced an error message 'Unfortunately, Launcher Has Stopped' in Android Device Emulator.
I have that errorfrom time to time andit is not clear what causes it. A screenshot is enclosed:

Best regards,
Sergey

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Sergey!
On what platform runs Android Device Emulator?If it is Windows you can run your emulator under debugger.Please set windbg as a postmortem debugger and try to run your app maybe debugger's break-in will be trigerred by some unhandled exception in theemulator code.You can also tryto do some investigation and find how it Launcher is implemented.For example if it is an DLL loaded by an emulator you can set a conditional breakpoint on dllmain call and single-step through the code.
Other thing you can do is to use an IDA disassembler and find the address of the string being displayed when Launcher crashes.When you have an address (probably global variable) you can set the conditional breakpoint on this address it should be some of the windowing procedures which gets string address to be displayed.From this point you can try to reconstruct the call stack simply by going through the return addresses pushed on the stack.
Btw Look for minidump file when Launcher crashes.

On what platform runs Android Device Emulator

I see that this is a windows application.Please read my previous post.

Sergey,if that happens, please look into the adb log. You should find there more information about the crash happened. To do that run the following command on your host machine:

adb logcat
Thanks,Alex

Quoting iliyapolak

On what platform runs Android Device Emulator

I see that this is a windows application.Please read my previous post.

It's an Android* application inside the emulator which is crashing. Debugging the emulator might be not the best approach to rootcause the issue.

Alex

It's an Android* application inside the emulator which is crashing

Because of word 'Launcher' being displayed I thought that some of Emulator component is crashing in such a case windbg should have been helpful to pinpoint the problem.

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...It's an Android* application inside the emulator which is crashing. Debugging the emulator might be not the best approach to rootcause the issue.
Alex

Absolutely agreeand I simply don't have time to do this.All Androidsource codesare available...

Iexperienced that error with emulator from Level 14 API and didn't see it when testing emulator from Level 15 API.
I've used a system image 'ARMeabi-v7a' to create AVD. I think I need to look atIntel system image as well.

Best regards,
Sergey

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...if that happens, please look into the adb log. You should find there more information about the crash
happened. To do that run the following command on your host machine:

adblogcat

Thank you! Today is my second day with Android and a"pressure is mounting"...

My question is why emulator for ARM CPUsis so slow? Is it faster for x86 CPUs?

My currentconfiguration is as follows:

- Android 4.0.3 ( API 15 )
- AVD was created based on a system image 'ARMeabi-v7a'

Best regards,
Sergey

Absolutely agreeand I simply don't have time to do this.All Androidsource codesare available

@Sergey
What is the 'Launcher' is it part of an Emulator?

Hi Iliya,

Quoting iliyapolak

Absolutely agreeand I simply don't have time to do this.All Androidsource codesare available

@Sergey

Yes.I think this isaService of an Android Deviceor Emulator...

Quoting Sergey Kostrov...My currentconfiguration is as follows:

- Android 4.0.3 ( API 15 )
- AVD was created based on a system image 'ARMeabi-v7a'

Itested anew AVD based on a system image forIntel 'x86Atom'. Here is another screenshot:

How is the Emulator implemented?Is it a.dll image?

Quoting Sergey Kostrov

The ARM CPU is completely emulated. That means that every ARM
instructions needs to be translated to an x86 instruction and than run on your
host machine. Because of this overhead it is really slow.

If you run a normal x86 image in the emulator the situation is
similar if you not use the Intel HAXM. The Intel HAXM can accelerate the x86
images, so that parts of the code will run nativelyon your host machine and give you a much better performance.

The install instructions can be found here:http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installation-instructions-for-intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager-windows/

Alex

Quoting iliyapolak

@Sergey

The Launcher is the application that provides the homescreen for Android. So this is part of Android and have nothing todo with the emulator.

The Launcher is the application that provides the homescreen for Android. So this is part of Android and have nothing todo with the emulator

Thanks for explaining this.Finally understood :)

Quoting iliyapolak

How is the Emulator implemented?

[SergeyK]Itlooks like it is a Java application.

Is it a.dll image?

There are three executables in a '..\Android-SDK\Tools' folder:
emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

Here is a screenshot of AndroidSDK Manager with installed packages:

I didn't have any problems with installation of these packagesand my main concern is performance of Android emulator for ARM & x86 CPUs.

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...
The Launcher is the application that provides the homescreen for Android. So this is part of Android and have nothing todo with the emulator.

Alexander, I'm interested to get some numbersfor your computer:

- How long does it take to load an emulator for ARM CPUs?
- How long does it take to load an emulator forx86 CPUs?

Best regards,
Sergey

emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

So its an exe image and two binary-translators implemented also as an exe image.Was there any emulator.exe related crash?

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)Quoting iliyapolak

@Sergey

The Launcher is the application that provides the homescreen for Android...

Here is a technical detail:The problem/issueis related to 'com.android.launcher' Java class.

Quoting iliyapolak

emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

So its an exe image and two binary-translators implemented also as an exe image. Was there any emulator.exe related crash?

No. I pressed 'OK' and emulator continued to load something...

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)Quoting Sergey Kostrov

The ARM CPU is completely emulated. That means that every ARM instructions needs to be translated to
an x86 instruction and than run on your host machine.
Because of this overhead it is really slow...

[SergeyK] I'm sure for 99% it is slow because simple matters are over-complicated and codes
poorly or neveroptimized.

Alexander,

I've been usingMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUs formore than12 years ( sinceeMbedded VC++ v4.0 times...).

Have you ever tried to debug an application created asa Smart Device projectin VS 2005/2008 Professional Edition?
Have you ever used a Windows CE emulator in aWindows CEPlatform Builderversion 5 or 6?
Have you seen how fastMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUare?

If No, please take a look you will bereally impressed. Ifwe call it as "War of Emulators" then it is clear that
Google lost the battle.

Quoting iliyapolak

emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

So its an exe image and two binary-translators implemented also as an exe image.Was there any emulator.exe related crash?

The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Alex

Quoting Sergey Kostrov

Alexander,

I've been usingMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUs formore than12 years ( sinceeMbedded VC++ v4.0 times...).

Have you ever tried to debug an application created asa Smart Device projectin VS 2005/2008 Professional Edition?
Have you ever used a Windows CE emulator in aWindows CEPlatform Builderversion 5 or 6?
Have you seen how fastMicrosoft's emulators for ARM CPUare?

If No, please take a look you will bereally impressed. Ifwe call it as "War of Emulators" then it is clear that
Google lost the battle.

Sergey,

I never worked on Windows* CE so I never used the emulators you referring to. Yes, the Android* emulator is not really fast. Thats the reason why we developed the Intel HAXM to improve the perfomance.

From my personal perspecitve: I am not using the emulator much, because I usually connected a real phone to the development machine and the applications are automatically deployed to that real phone. The main usage I have for the emulator is to see how the apps behave on different screen sizes.

So if you want to have a fast emulator, give Intel HAXM a try :-)

Alex

Here is some additional information:

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is ~2.5 times faster than Android emulator with 'ARM' system image

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is very stable (!) and I didn't have any error messages

- Android emulator with 'ARM' system image isunstable and different problems happen all the time. Here is a
screenshot with another UI problem ( PgUp orPgDn pressed several times):

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...From my personal perspecitve: I am not using the emulator much, because I usually connected a real
phone to the development machine and the applications are automatically deployed to that real phone...

[SergeyK] It is clear that Iwill need a real device, for examplea cheaptablet with Android 4.x.x...

So if you want to have a fast emulator, give Intel HAXM a try :-)

[SergeyK] Thank you, I will try.

Best regards,
Sergey

Quoting Sergey Kostrov
Here is some additional information:

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is ~2.5 times faster than Android emulator with 'ARM' system image

- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is very stable (!) and I didn't have any error messages

- Android emulator with 'ARM' system image isunstable and different problems happen all the time. Here is a
screenshot with another UI problem ( PgUp orPgDn pressed several times):

I'm happy to hear that the x86 system image provides you a faster and more stable experience :-) Thanks for the nice comment!

Alex

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Where could I find the source codes?

Best regards,
Sergey

Quoting Sergey KostrovQuoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Where could I find the source codes?

Reiteration: The question is not answered. Please take a look and thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Sergey

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)...- Android emulator with 'x86' system image is very stable (!) and I didn't have any error messages

When I configured the emulator with these settings:

I had lots of error messages, like:

Process is not responding
Would you like to close it?
( with two choices 'Wait' or 'OK' )

I wonder if these error message are due to some timeouts inside of the emulator?

Hi Sergey,

the whole Android sources including the emulator can be downloaded from http://source.android.com . This is a huge git clone. If you just want to browse the code, you can use this webpage:http://androidxref.com/source/xref/external/qemu/

Hope this helps you!Alex

Thank you for your responses, Alex!

Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)Quoting iliyapolak

emulator.exe
emulator-arm.exe
emulator-x86.exe

The Emulator is based on QEmu.

Actually it is very easy to check...

..\tools>emulator-x86.exe -version

Android emulator version 20.0 (build_id OPENMASTER-391819)
Copyright (C) 2006-2011 The Android Open Source Project and many others.
This program is a derivative of the QEMU CPU emulator (www.qemu.org).

Hi there, this is quite a big bump but from what I can see this is the best thread for my problem:

I love HAXM, it's great for my theme development in eclipse. The emulator runs very fast. The problem is with some specific apps like (AI Type Keyboard, NEXT Launcher or QQ Launcher) that simply give the error ".... has stopped working". I've looked for a solution everywhere but I came up empty. Could you please help?

Hi Chris,

can you provide a logcat output for the errors? That would really help to figure out what is the problem. 

Thanks,
Alex 

try to increase the vm heap size..

it will get solved...

probably your code is not complete.

JudLup Luna

Is this error occuring while you try to compile and run your own Launcher application or is it the pre-installed Launcher program causing the error?

Because this error generally occurs with me when I have not provided an interface i.e. a xml interface to the java function in the class or activity file.

>>...try to increase the vm heap size...

It did not help when I tried.

>>...
>>...Is this error occuring while you try to compile and run your own Launcher application or is it the pre-installed
>>Launcher program causing the error?..

It happened with pre-installed Launcher program and the problem is solved some time ago. I simply moved development to a significantly faster computer system.

Quote:

Sergey Kostrov wrote:
Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)
Quoting iliyapolak

@Sergey

Here is a technical detail:The problem/issueis related to 'com.android.launcher' Java class.

I need specific information how to fix that problem...

Quote:

Sergey Kostrov wrote:
Quoting Alexander Weggerle (Intel)
Quoting iliyapolak

@Sergey

I need specific information how to fix that problem...

Com.android.launcer error for mls iqtalk any help?

Hi Michael,

This is a very old story already and as far as I remember it was related to a timeout in some initialization procedure of the Android Emulator.

Is any site that I can find a solution step by step for this error?

Hi, you have a screen shot?

JudLup Luna

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today