Using VTune for .NET Application

Using VTune for .NET Application

Hi

I try to evaluate VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 7 for profiling .NET Applications, but I have problems with resolving the symbols in used .NET dlls (for c++ profiling and c++/cli profiling everything seems fine). I saw a post that mentioned problems with dynamic loaded assemblies via the reflection API, but my testcode doesn't use reflection.

I created a main program (a .NET console application) that calls a class in another .NET dll, but no matter which search directories are added, the symbols in the referenced .NET dll are not resolved, it always shows "[Dynamic code]" and "[0@]" (the symbols in the main program are resolved).

Everything is compiled in D:\\temp\\ConsoleProfiling\\ConsoleProfiling\\bin\\Release (ConsoleProfiling.exe, ConsoleProfiling.pdb, ConsumingHelperProfiling.dll, ConsumingHelperProfiling.pdb).

- I tried to run it from Visual Studio 2010, standalone GUI and standalone command line version and always got the same result.

- Is there a simple working sample for using vtune with several .NET dlls(the settings in the search directories would be of special interest)

- thanks jan

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Peter Wang (Intel)'s picture

This problem disappeared if you try VTune Amplifier XE 2011 U8.Set "Managed" code profiling or "Auto" code profiling in Project Properties.I suppose that this was a fixed bug in old Update.Regards, Peter

Login to leave a comment.