License conditions for IEC SDK samples

License conditions for IEC SDK samples

I am a member of the Green Code Lab community (greencodelab.fr), a French study group dedicated to provide solutions for software eco-design. As such, I am strongly interested in using the IEC SDK and developping tools to measure consumption and correlate it to useful work of applications.

For that purpose, I would like to know the conditions under which we can modify and publish the source code of samples like the PL CSV Logger. The license information provided with the SDK indicate that one is allowed to modify the source code for home use only, but it seems to me that these conditions are applicable to the API only, as the user manual advises to use the PL CSV Logger as a basis for customized counters logging or visualisation tools. Am I right, or are these license conditions also applicable to the PL CSV Logger and other samples provided in the SDK?

For instance: I have made minor modifications of the PL CSV Logger to add a command line option in order to display short labels instead of full counter names. I would like to make these modifications public - at least to the members of the Green Code Lab community. Am I allowed to do so?

Thank you for your answer and congratulations for your work!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
jamel-tayeb (Intel)'s picture

Bonsoir Bruno,

Thank you very much for your interest in Energy Checker. This is a very good question. Let me check with our legal team and come back to you ASAP with a precise answer. In the mean time, and if you are interested, we could discuss further your plans and could share some ideas too.

Merci,
-Jamel

Thank you very much for your reactivity. I am waiting for your answer then. I would be happy to discuss further on what we plan to do in the Green Code Lab team.

Hi Bruno,

I am not sure my last message - private - has reached you. So, if it didn't could you please contact me.

In the meantime, this is the situation. You can modify the code and use it as soon as it stays in your organization. This also applies to the API code, etc. However, you cannot distribute it or use the code generated outside of your organization. I hope that this answers your question. Regarding the specific case of a sample code, assuming that we understand the use of it, we could change the license for that specific sample if it makes sense. Hence the need to discuss further in direct.

Merci,

-Jamel

Hi Bruno & Al.

As per our exchange, we have modified the license for pl_csv_logger, so you can do what you planned. The Intel Energy Checker SDK Sample Source code for pl_csv_logger is now dual licensed. A user can choose to use the original license (Pre-Release EULA for What-If Software license) which allows modification of the code for use only internally, or The Intel Sample Source Code License Agreement which allows you to reproduce the sample, prepare derivative works of the Sample Source and distribute the Sample Source or any derivative works thereof that you create, as part of the product or application you develop using the Materials. This means you can redistribute only if you modify the code and include it in a product you create. The reasoning behind this is to require distribution of the original code to only be allowed at the download page on ISN.

We hope that this helps,
Merci,
-Jamel

Login to leave a comment.