Heap profiler with TBB malloc

Heap profiler with TBB malloc

I'm using tbbmalloc_proxy.dll to replace the malloc in my application and I'd like to do some heap profiling with PTU. However, I'm having a problem:A:Source\\pin\\pin\\image.cpp:LEVEL_PINCLIENT::RTN_Size:1155: assertion failed: end > RTN_Address(rtn)NO STACK TRACE AVAILABLE@CHARM-VERSION: $Id: version.cpp 18313 2008-03-30 23:51:30Z hgpatil $@CHARM-BUILDER: BUILDER@CHARM-COMPILER: MS-cl 1400@CHARM-TARGET: ia32e@CHARM-CFLAGS: __OPTIMIZE__=__OPTIMIZE__ __NO_INLINE__=__NO_INLINE__A:Source\\pin\\pin\\image.cpp:LEVEL_PINCLIENT::RTN_Size:1155: assertion failed: end > RTN_Address(rtn)
NO STACK TRACE AVAILABLE@CHARM-VERSION: $Id: version.cpp 18313 2008-03-30 23:51:30Z hgpatil $@CHARM-BUILDER: BUILDER@CHARM-COMPILER: MS-cl 1400@CHARM-TARGET: ia32e@CHARM-CFLAGS: __OPTIMIZE__=__OPTIMIZE__ __NO_INLINE__=__NO_INLINE__I'm guessing this is in relation to the caveat in the release notes stating that self-modifying code is unsupported by the heap profiling tool. From the Pin website (http://www.pintool.org/faq.html), I see that Pin (at least current versions) support self-modifying code. I also notice "version.cpp 18313" in the debug output above, which implies to me that PTU is using a very old version of Pin (pre-2009?).Are these guesses reasonable? Is there any chance PTU will be updated to support self-modifying code, possibly by adopting a newer version of Pin? Can you make any recommendations for me if I'd like to heap-profile this application while using TBB's malloc?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Unfortunately there are no plans to update PIN in PTU. It means that all its PIN-based collectors are supported only on legacy (at this moment) operating systems. So you should look at other instruments to achieve your goals.

Thanks very much for the response. We've opted to invest some effort in creating our own Pintool to replicate and improve upon the PTU heap profiler.

Login to leave a comment.