World from 3ds meshes

World from 3ds meshes

maksimbolonkin's picture

I have several 3ds files with world for my project - relief and road, severalobstacles and so on (training ground for car). Havok content tool for 3dmax exports this parts to files with no physics data. Is there any possibility for me to extract ground and road data to use it in havok world? How can I do that?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
havokmax's picture

Hi, I recommend taking a look at the content tools docs ("Havok Content Tools/3ds Max Tools"), especially the physics basics tutorial. This explains how to create physical representations of the objects in your world, export them and preview them. If you're already following those steps to create and export rigid bodies, could you give more detail about how the project is set up or perhaps share one of your max files? Thanks Max

maksimbolonkin's picture

Unfortunately I've no any experience with 3dmax. I tried to use content tools, to export objects. But there's no physics properties at all in given 3ds files (this models are inheritance from previous projects) - just 3d model. So, I couldn't extract any data from resulting HKX-files. Project needs to extract data about landscape and road and then represent it with havok objects (maybe meshshapes). Same models will be used for graphics part of project. http://www.4shared.com/file/LTN-NiC7/1_online.html http://www.4shared.com/file/patSpNxL/2_online.html This are two sample parts (out of six) of entire model that I need to clue together. Is there any possibility to add physics properties to objects in 3dmax after they have been created? Or maybe other way to "copy" lanscape to havok world?

havokcormac's picture

Hi Maksim,

The Havok content tools are a plugin for 3dsMax that allows you to add and edit extra annotations to a 3dsMax scene to represent physics properties for the objects in the scene.

Then the Havok exporter (part of the content tools plugin) passes all the scene data through a sequence of filters (the 'Filter Pipeline') which process the data and output a file in Havok format (.hkx or .hkt).

The Havok runtime can then load these files and use the physics data in a simulation.

The physics properties are not stored in a .3ds file, and the Havok runtime itself can only read .hkx and .hkt
But you can write your own code that interfaces with Havok if you want to inspect the loaded physics objects at runtime.

As Max said above, you should really take a look at the content tools manual.
The '3dsMax Tools/Tutorial: Physics Basics' chapter shows you all the steps to add and export rigid body physics for a simple scene.

Cormac

Login to leave a comment.