Grouchy

Grouchy

Dear ArBB Team,
I find the beta 5 release unusable, so far. My beta 4 MSVC projects seem to run OK in debug mode, fail with a not-too-helpful exception "Type checking failed." message in release mode. Also, FYI, the beta 5 installation messes with environment variables in a way I think is stupid, not leveraging ARBB_ROOT, and making poor 64-bit vs 32-bit choices. The bottom line is I don't know what to do next, so I'll turn my attention elsewhere (as I have the past few weeks, having run up against other limitations in beta 4). Hopefully,my patience will be restored, later,enough to run-to-ground an example that demonstrates my frustrations.
Best regards,
- paul

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Paul,

Sorry to know you have some problems with the Beta 5. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong. I'm still trying to reproduce your problems. Meanwhile, here are a few things you can try:

1. Completely uninstall Beta 4 before install Beta 5.
  2. Make sure the system environment variable ARBB_ROOT is pointing to C:\Program Files\Intel\arbb\Beta 5
  3. Update the "Properties" of your MSVC project, especially for the following items:
    • Configuration Properties > C/C++ > General > Additional Include Directories: $(ARBB_ROOT)\include
    • Configuration Properties > Linker > General > Additional Library Directories: $(ARBB_ROOT)\lib\ia32 or $(ARBB_ROOT)\lib\intel64
    • Configuration Properties > Linker > Input > Additional Dependencies: Make sure arbb.lib or arbb_dev.lib is included.

Please let us know if these help.

Hi Zhang,

Following your instructions, except step 3 as my MSVC projects already do these things,my symptoms have disappeared.Now I can try the new stuff.

Please note the release notes say: "When installing an updated version of the product, you do not need to remove the older version first. You can have multiple versions of the product installed."

- paul

Paul,

Glad to know the problem is resolved. I did an installation of Beta 5 alongside with an existing Beta 4 installation, and it worked fine. So I guess mileages vary from system to system. Most likely, the problem has something to do with how some system environment variables (e.g. INCLUDE and PATH) are set during installation. I'll mention this to the ArBB engineering team and see what we can do to improve it.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today