A new CPU meant for Virtual Machines

A new CPU meant for Virtual Machines

Tw Burger's picture
I was reading an article at Tom's Hardware about the new Intel Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture currently codenamed "Knights Corner".

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/knights-ferry-corner-mic-xeon,11036.html It has32 x86 cores at 1.2GHz, with four threads per core. If this isn't intended for virtualization I don't know what is.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Thai Le (Intel)'s picture
Tracy Camp's picture

Its not entirely clear if this is a continuation of Labree where if I understood things correctly the individual processors on the die lacked inter-processor cache coherency (requiring external serialization when necissary), or if phi is some sort of evolution of existing multi-core architectures where inter-processor cache coherency is maintained. I agree its an interesting processor from a virtualization standpoint either way, but its also not clear what instruction sets each core in a phi part supports, so what kind of virtualization software to make it interesting changes quite a bit depending on the answers to the cache coherency and instruction set question. The link Quoc-tahi Le posted didn't seem to contain any actual technical information.

Login to leave a comment.