"Visual Debugger MFC Frontend has stopped working"

"Visual Debugger MFC Frontend has stopped working"

Hello,I am a newbie trying to use Havok for an academic project. One of the problems I am having right out of the box is that the Visual Debugger does not start. When I double click the icon in Windows Explorer, Iimmediatelyget an error popup saying :Havok Visual Debugger MFC Frontend has stopped working." It also points out that "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." but unsurprisingly it finds none.I was able to reproduce this error on two machines (these are all machines I tried). The only thing both machines have in common is that they run Windows 7 (32 bit). Both have Visual Studio 2010 installed, which shouldn't matter I think. The Havok I am using is a just downloaded 7.1 to which I did nothing but extracting from the archive.I tried the various compatibility modes that Windows offers as well as running the program as administrator, but to no avail.Any ideas?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hey jonemo,

You might want to check if there's an entry for the VDB in the system registry, and if so, try clearing it... that seems to be a common way to resolve this error. If that doesn't help, I might recommend running depends.exe (you can grab this online... seach for 'Dependency Walker') which should reveal the dlls that the VDB requires to run. This might give you an idea of what dlls (if any) you are missing.

Chris

Developer Support Engineer
Havok
www.havok.com

Hi havokchrisk,Thanks for these suggestions. I cannot find any set registry key for the VDB, but it could well be that I am not searching for the right thing. I searched my entire registry for "VisualDebugger" "VDB" and a few other combinations and did not find any keys that are set to a value.I tried the visual debugger and it does in fact highlight two problems. Problem number one is that "IEShims.dll" was not found. This forum thread over at microsoft.com contains the solution (at the very end):http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8a751f65-ade9-4b8b-a3d3-c720ccbd3d2cAfter this, the remaining issue is a warning "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay load dependent module." This appears to be related to SHLWAPI.DLL and IEFRAME.DLL. I have no experience debugging such dependency issues so I am a little lost here. My understanding is that Visual Debugger should handle something related to delayed loading of functions but doesn't.I did some more testing on other machines and could so far confirm that the Visual Debugger does not work on any of the five Win7 machines I tested. It does work fine on the one Vista machine I could find.At this point my conclusion is that Visual Debugger does simply not work on Windows7.

I'm able to run the Havok 7.1 VDB on Windows 7, so that shouldn't be the issue. It looks like my VDB registry is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Havok->HavokVisualDebugger, so you might check for a similar registry entry on your end. It looks like the error you're encountering for SHLWAPI.DLL is safe to ignore, so I don't think that should be the source of the error.

Chris

Havok
www.havok.com

I did look into the registry, there was a folder with keys there, all of them being "value not set". I deleted the entire folder and that didn't change anything.
Let's be sure that the error is not me being dumb: I can simply navigate to HavokDir/Tools/VisualDebugger/ and double click hkVisualDebugger.exe - correct? Because that's what I am doing.
I went to the Event Log (the one that comes with Windows) and find the following information relating to the problem:
----Faulting application name: hkVisualDebugger.exe, version: 7.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x4b309547Faulting module name: ole32.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdac7Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x00029b90Faulting process id: 0x%9Faulting application start time: 0x%10Faulting application path: %11Faulting module path: %12Report Id: %13Faulting application name: hkVisualDebugger.exe, version: 7.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x4b309547Faulting module name: ole32.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdac7Exception code: 0xc0000005Fault offset: 0x00029b90Faulting process id: 0x%9Faulting application start time: 0x%10Faulting application path: %11Faulting module path: %12Report Id: %13----Windows is keen on sending an error report to Microsoft. The error report contains the following information:----Description:Stopped workingFiles that help describe the problem:C:\Users\Jonas\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA811.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xmlC:\Users\Jonas\AppData\Local\Temp\WERBF59.tmp.mdmp----Said files are a memory dump and this:----<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?> 6.1 7600 (0x30): Windows 7 Professional Professional 7600.16539.x86fre.win7_gdr.100226-1909 1 Multiprocessor Free X86 1033 3096 C:\Windows\explorer.exe C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE APPCRASH hkVisualDebugger.exe 7.1.0.1 4b309547 ole32.dll 6.1.7600.16385 4a5bdac7 c0000005 00029b90 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48 1033 5C766FFB-9ACE-4F9A-89FE-0CA722D4653B ----I am trying to think what all the machines I tried this with might have in common and the only thing I can think of is that they all run a Windows7 under an Academic license (MSDNAA). That should not make a difference. As you can see I am running out of ideas here.

Thanks for all that info. A couple more ideas for you:

1. Are you running the VDB as administrator? If not, I'd recommend giving that a try.
  2. You might want to check out this site, which has more info on possible causes for the exception code 0xc0000005. You might want to try some of the proposed solutions there.

I've verified that I am also running the same version of ole32.dll as you, so that also appears to be fine.

Chris

Havok
www.havok.com

I tried running it as admin, I also tried various compatibility modes supplied by Win7. To make sure it's not my virus program I tried running VDB in Safe Mode. Nothing helps.Not sure what to do about your second suggestion. Some of the pointers on the linked site are ruled out from my observations, others rely on the presence of a boot.ini which has been ditched on Win7.I did find a number of Win7 computers (my colleagues') that run the VDB without problem. That implies that something I am doing to all of my computers (but no one else does to theirs) breaks this. I have no idea what that could be, a few potential candidates would be: Using Avira Virus, having Office 2010 beta installed, using a syncing program no one else uses. Apart from that I don't think I have anything unusual installed that would differentiate (all) my computers from those of other people. Since Safe Mode did not help, I have to assume that some installer broke some file somewhere.In conclusion I am now giving up on this problem and will live without the VDB where I can and otherwise get hold of another computer to remotely connect the VDB.Thanks for all your help,Jonas

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today