Which version of the DirectX SDK?

Which version of the DirectX SDK?

Hi,

I'm a new member here and I'm preparing to install the MCA SDK for the first time. I read the requirements and want to be sure I choose the correct version of the DirectX SDK for my situation. I currently have only the DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (Summer 2004) installed.

My development machine is XP and my target tablet is the Motion F5 with XP. So it seems version 9.0 is the appropriate one. However it's possible that in the future I will do development for a tablet running Windows 7.

Should I install version 11 now for my XP-only development?

Thanks in advance,
Margot

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Margot,

The MCA SDK requires Microsoft DirectX 9 SDK.

Here is the full list of software requirements for MCA 3.0:

* Microsoft DirectX 9 SDK
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1
* Microsoft Windows XP (SP2), Windows Vista, or Windows 7
* Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1
* Microsoft .NET Framework

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve,

Yes I see that DirectX 9 is the minimum requirement, but what I'm trying to discern is if I should install DirectX 11 instead (based on the MCA release notes recommendation) since I may do Windows 7 MCA development in the future and since it's the latest SDK. Or is it the wrong choice because I'm only doing Windows XP MCA development right now?

Thanks,
Margot

Hi Margot,

We have not tested DirectX 11 on Windows XP. We have validated DirectX 9 on Windows XP, and validated DirectX 11 on Windows 7.

Maybe someone else on the forum that has tried DirectX 11 on XP will chime in.

Thanks,
Steve

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you! DirectX 9 it is for now.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today