Why change the default behaviour for GEMM? (and other BLAS95/LAPACK95 interfaces?)

Why change the default behaviour for GEMM? (and other BLAS95/LAPACK95 interfaces?)

(This post is merely feedback).
As far as I am aware, the default behaviour for the blas95 interface of the GEMM matrix multiply routine has always been to set the 'beta' parameter to 1 (recall GEMM computes C = alpha * A * B + beta*C). Incredibly, this has been changed in 10.2 so that now the default value is 0!? The problem with this change is that 'old' code will still run, the results of the computation will of course be different to what was intended. I expect that a lot of erroneous results are going to be produced before people realise that GEMM now functions differently. Also, every call to GEMM must be corrected by hand, a time consuming thing to do for large programs.

It's madness to change the default behaviours of interfaces like this, especially when the performance gains in doing so are all but nonexistent. Trival changes to the routine should be made 'behind' the interface. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that MKL is freely available. We all make mistakes (e.g. I should've taken the time to choose a proper username).

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello!

It just adjusted to the F95 BLAST proposal:

Some of the arguments may not appear in a specific instance. In this case a pre-defined value is assumed.
alpha 1.0 or (1.0,0.0)
beta 0.0 or (0.0,0.0)

Thanks,
-Vladimir

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today