PTU vtssview usage question

PTU vtssview usage question

pember's picture

Hello,

I'm using vtssrun with vtssview to analyze my code's performance. I run vtssrun as follows:

---------------------
vtssrun ProfDir -i 1 --
-v 1
----------------------

I then run vtssview as follows:

---------------
vtssview ProfDir -p > prof.flat.txt
---------------

prof.flat.txt then looks like

---------------------------------------
Intel Performance Tuning Utility version 3.2 Update 1
Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved

Flat profile view:
Samples function thread process module
self total self% total%
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3941 3941 10.75 10.75 0xb786e6b0

3234 3234 8.82 8.82 0xb786e6b0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of my analysis is trying to figure out the incremental cost of turning on certain packages within my code. As such, I'd also like to know the absolute cost of the reported function in cpu seconds -- at least, a good estimate -- in addition to the percentage times. I know I can do this myself outside of PTU, but it would be so much nicer if PTU provided this (in the same way that the open source utility gprof does.) Is there some way to get this infomation either with vtssrun/vtssview or with some other PTU comand line utility.

Thanks
Rick Pember

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
levinth's picture
Quoting - pember Hello,

I'm using vtssrun with vtssview to analyze my code's performance. I run vtssrun as follows:

---------------------
vtssrun ProfDir -i 1 --
-v 1
----------------------

I then run vtssview as follows:

---------------
vtssview ProfDir -p > prof.flat.txt
---------------

prof.flat.txt then looks like

---------------------------------------
Intel Performance Tuning Utility version 3.2 Update 1
Copyright (C) 2006-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved

Flat profile view:
Samples function thread process module
self total self% total%
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3941 3941 10.75 10.75 0xb786e6b0

3234 3234 8.82 8.82 0xb786e6b0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of my analysis is trying to figure out the incremental cost of turning on certain packages within my code. As such, I'd also like to know the absolute cost of the reported function in cpu seconds -- at least, a good estimate -- in addition to the percentage times. I know I can do this myself outside of PTU, but it would be so much nicer if PTU provided this (in the same way that the open source utility gprof does.) Is there some way to get this infomation either with vtssrun/vtssview or with some other PTU comand line utility.

Thanks
Rick Pember

this really is easier with teh event based sampling
I have been doing performance analysis for ~35 years..and have never solved a real problem with a call graph..
I have solved problems in literally hundreds of million plus line codes using EBS.
my $0.02
d

Dmitry Ryabtsev (Intel)'s picture

Since you use -i 1 option you can simplytreat the 'Samples self' column as milliseconds. So in your example will have 3941ms estimated CPU time, -3234ms, etc.

pember's picture
Quoting - Dmitry Ryabtsev (Intel)
Since you use -i 1 option you can simplytreat the 'Samples self' column as milliseconds. So in your example will have 3941ms estimated CPU time, -3234ms, etc.

thank you

Login to leave a comment.