Incorrect "Name already used" errors

Incorrect "Name already used" errors

jmcfarland101's picture

The attached source code file demonstrates two compiler errors that appear to be incorrect. When compiled as is (with sub1 commented out), the compiler states that "grad" has "already been used as an external function name", which it has not -- here the code should compile.

A second error can be produced if sub1 is uncommented and sub2 and sub3 are commented out. Here the code should not compile, but the compiler error is misleading: it says that "grad" has "already been used as a dummy function name". A different compiler gives me a more correct error for this case: "'pointer' argument of 'associated' interinsic must be a POINTER".

John

AttachmentSize
Download Names.f90728 bytes
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

I had hoped that Update 5 would resolve all the issues related to procedure pointers, but this appears not to be the case. I have escalated the fiirst issue as DPD200151017. I will escalate the second one soon.

Steve

For the second problem, the developers tell me that they're not going to change the message for this error. The message is correct, though I understand that you'd prefer a different one.

Steve

The inappropriate error with the original source is fixed in 11.1 Update 6.

Steve

Login to leave a comment.