licence questions

licence questions

darkfate's picture

Hello
I dont know if its the right forum for this question.

I am a student and saw that i can buy academic licences for lower price.
Can i use the academic/student licence to build commercial software?

Thank you

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
greg.andersonintel.com's picture
Quoting - darkfate Hello
I dont know if its the right forum for this question.

I am a student and saw that i can buy academic licences for lower price.
Can i use the academic/student licence to build commercial software?

Thank you

Hello darkfate, there are no restrictions on what you can build with the academic or student versions of our products. The academic/student classification is a discount program whereby we offer our tools at a big discount for academic or student use.

Greg

Paul Steinberg (Intel)'s picture
Quoting - greg.andersonintel.com
Hello darkfate, there are no restrictions on what you can build with the academic or student versions of our products. The academic/student classification is a discount program whereby we offer our tools at a big discount for academic or student use.

Greg

Hi Darkfate,

Please let us know what you do with the tools. I would be very interestd to hear about your efforts

Paul Steinberg
Academic Community Manager

darkfate's picture
@greg.andersonintel.com : Thank you for your answer. Quoting - Paul Steinberg (Intel)
Hi Darkfate,

Please let us know what you do with the tools. I would be very interestd to hear about your efforts

Paul Steinberg
Academic Community Manager

Hello Mr. Steinberg, thank you for your interest on our work and sorry for my late answer (and for my bad english). At present i am working in a small student team on TLS(Total Least Squares)-problems. Especially Gauss-Helmert model is interesting for us. The finish of our research should be a software, that can recognize deformations of an object which was scanned with a terrestrial-laserscanner before and after its deformation. Our main problem are a lot of huge (growing with the count of scanned points) matrices needed to be inverted and mulitplied to each other. We have already applied some stable working algorithms and want to best fit them for our intel machines. At the moment our financial margin is very small so we are looking for possibilities to gain some extra performance so i am flirting with your c/c++ compiler because it looks very promising for me. I also see that the mkl is the second tool we have to test. I have to thank Intel for its academic discounts and the possibility to evaluate the software and especially this good forum which already cleared a lot of questions i hadand look forward to working with you in the future. Greetings
Quoting - darkfate

Hello Mr. Steinberg, thank you for your interest on our work and sorry for my late answer (and for my bad english). At present i am working in a small student team on TLS(Total Least Squares)-problems. Especially Gauss-Helmert model is interesting for us. The finish of our research should be a software, that can recognize deformations of an object which was scanned with a terrestrial-laserscanner before and after its deformation. Our main problem are a lot of huge (growing with the count of scanned points) matrices needed to be inverted and mulitplied to each other. We have already applied some stable working algorithms and want to best fit them for our intel machines. At the moment our financial margin is very small so we are looking for possibilities to gain some extra performance so i am flirting with your c/c++ compiler because it looks very promising for me. I also see that the mkl is the second tool we have to test. I have to thank Intel for its academic discounts and the possibility to evaluate the software and especially this good forum which already cleared a lot of questions i hadand look forward to working with you in the future. Greetings

Excellent. I am happy that our tools and discounts are helping you. Are you applying paralle stretegies to solving your problem?

darkfate's picture
Quoting - Paul Steinberg (Intel)
Excellent. I am happy that our tools and discounts are helping you. Are you applying paralle stretegies to solving your problem?

At the moment i dont have the deeper knowledge about what you mean with parallel strategies. Do you mean the use of Muti-Core Advantages to compute a solution or MKL/Compiler/MultiCore/.../... Processor combinations to get faster to the finish? Now i have finished the C++ compiler evaluation and looking at MKL. Some things braking my habituation... The windows evaluation time is only 30days. It is a realy short time for reading all the manuals (especially MKL with 3668 pages)and understand the coexistence of these tools. So i had to switch to to the non commercial linux version. The configuartion is a realy pain for a non experienced linux user.. What i am actually searching for i a manual for something like: "start from zero with parallel programming" with intel tools.Where do i have to look to find this help?
Clay Breshears (Intel)'s picture
Quoting - darkfate What i am actually searching for i a manual for something like: "start from zero with parallel programming" with intel tools.Where do i have to look to find this help?

You might want to try "Three Things You Must Teach" (http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/12/19/video-lecture-series-th...) the video series as a starting point. This was aimed at university faculty, but it can be watched and understood by most anyone. It's not the Intel tools, but it should get you started with some of the ideas behind parallel programming.

I remember learning about parallel architectures as a starting topic. That gave me the background to understand how parallelism is executed and relate how threads or processes would interact with their execution environment and each other. That may be a bit archaic, but the idea has some merit. This is especially true when attempting to understand performance issues. That is, some of the same architecture issues (memory bus speed/size, cache usage, etc.) that can affect serial execution will be the same that can come up in parallel execution.

Another video of interest (after the first set) would be "A visual guide to key concepts in threaded programming Common problems and how to solve them" (http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/12/18/playing-with-toys-for-c...).

--clay

Quoting - Clay Breshears (Intel)

You might want to try "Three Things You Must Teach" (http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2008/12/19/video-lecture-series-th...) the video series as a starting point. This was aimed at university faculty, but it can be watched and understood by most anyone. It's not the Intel tools, but it should get you started with some of the ideas behind parallel programming.

. . .

Thanks Clay.

Login to leave a comment.