Intel DX58SO BIOS issue

Intel DX58SO BIOS issue

Folks, I need some help with your mainboard and BIOS which I am not sure regular tech. support can give me so I am asking here.

I have Intel DX58SO mainboard with Core i7-920, 6GB of DDR3 RAM in 3x 2GB configuration, 650W PSU and an older video card -- NVIDIA 7950GX2.

Latest BIOS version is 4196 at the moment of this writing.

However, I am forced to use BIOS version 3044 and here is why.

When I put any of the newer BIOSes which have SLI support, I experience random lockups at POST, extensive display on/off switching while POST-ing, and the inability to load NVIDIA video drivers and thus boot to the operating system except in the safe mode.

On a side note, each time I flashed the BIOS I loaded optimal defaults as suggested in release notes and I used the same configuration options every time.

I suspect that this may have something to do with the SLI license in the ACPI SLIC table -- 7950GX2 has two GPUs on board so it already works in SLI mode even without the SLI license in the BIOS. Unfortunately I don't have another brand of video card to test at the moment and this card works just fine with the older BIOS. I would really appreciate if someone from Intel engineering could test DX58SO with BIOS 4196 and NVIDIA 7950GX2 in Windows 7 x64 to see if they encounter the same issue as I do and perhaps get it fixed for me.

Another issue is that flashing another BIOS version causes Windows (at least Windows 7) to re-enumerate ALL devices and reinstall all drivers requiring up to two reboots to sort itself out. What is worse, this procedure leaves a lot of duplicate phantom devices which can be seen if you set the environment variable devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices to 1, and select Show Hidden Devices from the View menu in Device Manager. That is really undesirable behavior because it bloats the registry with those phantom devices and it might even trigger OS reactivation if the OS detects too many hardware changes.

Moreover, BIOS options vary between different versions -- some options disappear and some new ones show up. Those that show up do not have any help associated with them while the names are rather cryptic (ASPM L0, etc). While I am at it, VT-d related options are also poorly explained. Options should be documented well enough so one can make an educated decision whether to turn them on or off without having to resort to extensive Googling.

Finally, memory timings setting section is designed and implemented very poorly -- it exposes a lot of timings which is good, but in manual mode it doesn't display or preset their default values from SPD/XMP, nor it offers to keep some of the values set automatically like most of the other mainboards from other IHVs do. If all the timings were documented or readable from the SPD/XMP so I could find the right ones that would be ok with me, but some of them are completely undocumented and the lack of automatic/default setting for those really makes manual configuration very hard even for geeks such as myself.

I would really appreciate help, at least with the inability to use latest BIOS.

Regards,
Igor Levicki
6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Igor,

It is probably a good idea to at least try regular Intel Product Support: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support

This forum has not been getting very much traffic lately, and as it is focused on software development, there may not be anyone to assist you. I hope you will be able to find an answer soon.

Regards,

Gina H.
Intel Software Network Support

Quoting - Intel Software Network Support
Hello Igor,

It is probably a good idea to at least try regular Intel Product Support: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support

This forum has not been getting very much traffic lately, and as it is focused on software development, there may not be anyone to assist you. I hope you will be able to find an answer soon.

Regards,

Gina H.

Hello Gina,

This is not a typical user issue and explaining it to low-level support people can often be very frustrating, that is why I have posted it here.

I would appreciate if you try to bring this thread to the attention of Intel BIOS engineers.

Regards,
Igor Levicki

I can now confirm with 100% confidence that Intel DX58SO with BIOS later than 3044 (up to 4196) is not compatible with NVIDIA 7950GX2 video card.

My particular model was e-Geforce 7950 GX2 manufactured by EVGA, VGA BIOS version 5.71.22.33.07 on the lower and 5.71.22.33.08 on the upper PCB.

I have replaced the video card with ATI 5850 and now the mainboard works with any BIOS including 4196. You should pass this info to your BIOS engineers.

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Quoting - Igor Levicki
I can now confirm with 100% confidence that Intel DX58SO with BIOS later than 3044 (up to 4196) is not compatible with NVIDIA 7950GX2 video card.

My particular model was e-Geforce 7950 GX2 manufactured by EVGA, VGA BIOS version 5.71.22.33.07 on the lower and 5.71.22.33.08 on the upper PCB.

I have replaced the video card with ATI 5850 and now the mainboard works with any BIOS including 4196. You should pass this info to your BIOS engineers.

I have an Intel DX58so with Bios S0X5810J.86A.4405.2009.1020.1419, board version AAE29331-501, I've had it for months and am most disapointed as I cannot use it for what I purchased it for. I have two Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX with the latest Nvidia drivers and Windows 7 Professional with latest patches. The Motherboard causes a crash whenever you try to enable SLI.
:-(
Gordon

Quoting - Gordon West

I have an Intel DX58so with Bios S0X5810J.86A.4405.2009.1020.1419, board version AAE29331-501, I've had it for months and am most disapointed as I cannot use it for what I purchased it for. I have two Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX with the latest Nvidia drivers and Windows 7 Professional with latest patches. The Motherboard causes a crash whenever you try to enable SLI.
:-(
Gordon

Hi, Gordon - please contact Intel Customer Support for assistance with your issue, using their form at http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx. The Intel Software Network forums are for software development-related discussions.

Regards,

Lexi S.
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today