About GMA 500 Driver Development

About GMA 500 Driver Development

I have a simple question: will the driver for the GMA500 support WDDM 1.1? The hardware is DX10.1 capable, but lacks driver support.Vista GMA500 driver is not compatible with Win7, using it leads to a lot of bsod in many operations. With wddm 1.1 memory usage for the dwm hopefully will be reduced, and maybe willget a better 2d acceleration, useful for flash apps. As a last chance, if wddm 1.1 support is not planned, will wddm 1.0 Vista driver be patched to work well under Win7?
Davide Bergamini

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - berga.d

# Adding required PPAs
echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo "" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/poulsbo-graphics/ubuntu jaunty main ' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/poulsbo-graphics/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

# Keys for PPAs
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C6598A30
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 99C0198F

apt-get update
apt-get install dkms fakeroot

apt-get install libdrm-poulsbo1
apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d psb-firmware

# Install downloaded psb-kernel-* packages
dpkg -i psb-kernel-*

echo "blacklist i915" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

update-initramfs -u

Quoting - hanratty

Quoting - berga.

# Adding required PPAs
echo 'deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
echo 'deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Thanks... But this is the way to install driver under ubuntu I think... I'm asking about Windows 7...

The current drivers support WDDM 1.1 for GMA 500. Please check it out at http://downloadcenter.intel.com

I'd like to run Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, but the Poulsbo/GMA500 driver fails. I know Mandriva 2010 and 2010.1 works without a problem, but I like Ubuntu, and would love to start using the latest release.
I've heard through different forums, that Intel have scrapped this chipset, yet it's still being sold in Netbooks, is this true?
So my last question is, Is there a driver that will work on Ubuntu 10.04 for the Poulsbo/GMA500?

What about IEGD?

@Ganesh: GMA500 Windows driver doesnt support WDDM 1.1 yet but just WDDM1.0. There seems to be some misunderstanding. For WDDM 1.1 support GDI acceleration is must and our Win7 driver doesnt have GDI accerleration as we are still working on it.

@modcm: Am sorry but I am windows developer so not much info on Linux driver. I hope someone from linux team can help u.

-Abhi

Hi Abhishek, I would really like to know, what is your team doing to improve aero perfromance on the gma 500? The driver is very glitchy when it comes to aero and it can become quite anoying, and when do you think that you might be releaseing the next driver?

Thanks for the question & all the answer because its really helpful to solve my problem also.

Thanks again.

OK this is becoming ridiculous, Intel has yet to release a fully working driver to support our chip set and I'm fed up with it, people please, help me pressure Intel into doing something about this, for god sakes they have had 2 years to do something with the pitiful drivers and have done nothing! I have Windows 7 and I decided to download Appup today, and let me tell ya, almost every game that requires 3D excel Is Unplayable!!!!!!! I mean come on! All the software in The catalog Is supposed to work with ALL Intel Atom based net books Not just the ones with Intel GMA 950 Graphics cards! This is totally ridiculous and Intel has me to the point that I will never Buy another One of THEIR products again unless they fix this monstrosity.

@samusishere:
Hi there, first of all my sincere apologies for taking so long to reply to your earlier question... I was too busy and couldnt take out time to reply any of the queries :(...

Answer to your previous query ("...would really like to know, what is your team doing to improve aero perfromance.........")
We are constantly working on improving overall graphics and not just AERO related issues. This is true that there are issues with AERO mode on our driver but we have improved it a lot if you compare it to previous driver versions when there were frequent app hangs, texture corruptions etc. Infact we have recently released another driver version (2026 two weeks back only). Some more bug fixes has gone in. You can download it from

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18470&lang=eng

Apart from these fixes we are also working on enabling OpenGL 2.0 support as well.OGL support should also enable many of the apps/games which specifically require OpenGL support and not just DX support.

So you see we are working to improve GMA 500 driver and no need to pressurize Intel for not doing anything J I can understand your frustration as a customer but you can cooperate with us by providing more details about any issue you find with GMA500 driver. As you mentioned in your last post about some games from Appup. Are those games DirectX based or OpenGL? If you are not sure provide the link and I will try to check it and try to figure out whats the issue with it.

Abhi

Well Thank you for doing what you guys are doing, but um, i Just downloaded the driver and i notice absolutely no improvement. Exactly what was done??? And i do understand that you guys are working on more then aero issues but um, many other very less powerful cards have no problem with aero. and the animations are not jerky etc.... Also when do you think that the next driver thats supposed to enable OpenGL 2.0 will be released and the driver that will have full direct x 10 support. and lol, what about WDDM 1.1 instead of using vista outdated 1.0??? also the games that i was referring to are

Play 3D pool Game demo

funkyball worlds

And sir, to be completely honest, Graphics performance seams to have degraded with the newest driver in my testing what is that about. aero animations along with some working games have actually DROPED a couple of frames. can you tell me why that is???

Thanks

Justin

Another thing that I have noticed is that the ALL Direct X games have artifacting flashing and severe pausing. The frame rates are also bad. The game that i tested is 8 years old and is big mutha truckers. a ten year old Extreme graphics 2 card ran the game at 33 frames per second. I also must note that the card was NOT recommended for playing that game. now obviously the GMA 500 is much more powerful and is more then capable of running a game that is 8 years old. I understand that you are working hard on Open GL 2.0 Support but please fix this issue it is very annoying. Also I know i have said this many times but i must repeat myself just one more time because it has become more annoying. Please fix Aero! hahaha. The animations are Increadably jerky and very unpleasant to look at. As i said before many older less capable cards from Intel have no problem with aero. Such as the GMA X4500 witch can not even handle HD video but runs aero almost as well as its more powerful brother the GMA X4500MHD. Witch shows that is really is just a driver issue. My last gripe is with video accel. As far as youtube and natively from the hard drive. All Videos look great but at the same time it taxes the processor. Witch is weird because it is supposed to be Accelerating the video and therefore should only take the processor to about 40 percent..... so there all my issues with the driver i have let you know about and i hope that you can get the fixed as there are like i sad very annoying. but please if anything....... FIX AERO. Its what i look at when i first log on to my computer and its kinnda hard to keep it on. but Adobe recommends that its on fo the best perfromance. so um yeahh please fix it! thanks

Hello,developers team. I just want to say that current situation with gma 500 is not normal. Really. I do not need OpenGL, DX, Video... But I REALLY need proper GUI acceleration. Currently operation has no difference with legacy "Standart VGA" video driver. Please focuse on introducing better aero support. This is first and one thing that I use any time.
Please, if you can tall when next version of driver will be and what will be fixed in it.

You sir/mam are 100 percent right, I very much appreciate that they are working on proper video and 3D excel but at the same time they are completely ignoring the fact that there are so many bugs and glitches when running aero that its unpleasant to use.

I have also tested GMA 500 under Linux - Ubuntu 9.10. So performance are better but not so good as espected. Also many visual bugs are founded. I think that it has maximum performance there. It's sloooow.
So I'am very-very disapointed to intel's GMA 500 product. I is not usable at all. Not for bussines applications not for entertaiment. In all existing "normal" operational systems.
Linux support is not good. Drivers is close-source and has many bugs and poor performance. Windows XP, Windows Vista are not supported any more. Windows 7 has many bugs and poooooor performance.
Netbooks that comes with this chip are not usable products. If intel thinks that checking e-mail's is all that customers needs - thay fail.
IMHO - GMA 500 must be discontinued and replaced with some more efficient solution. Good processors like Z550, Z560 but no support by chipset.

Um, this is verry incorrect, ubuntu is still working on the gma 500 chipset to get full driver functionality. and the windows team have confirmed to me also that the driver thtwill bring top perfromance possible is nearing completetion, so you really should reserch before complaining.

Quoting samusishereUm, this is verry incorrect, ubuntu is still working on the gma 500 chipset to get full driver functionality. and the windows team have confirmed to me also that the driver thtwill bring top perfromance possible is nearing completetion, so you really should reserch before complaining.

Did you try install and configure GMA 500 driver under Ubuntu 9.10 (for example) by yourself? It's not so easy and "plug and play". Really.
I did. I have OpenGL, Compiz, 2D accelerated. But performace is poor.
Ubuntu can not fix driver. Because it is not open source.
I have tested some there and some where and found rendering bugs too.

The best performance (and seems maximum for GMA 500) can be done by using IEGD driver. But this driver only for XP.

So... I'am thinking that this chip is not usable at all.

Intel sells a video chip to Sony, Dell, MSI, Fujitsu, Kohjinsha, Acer, ASUStek, Aigo, OQO and other hardware manufacturers for the use in their netbooks, laptops and UMPCs. Intel has not provided working drivers for this chip thus crippling the hardware that uses this chip.The purpose of this group:

1) Inform Intel and its hardware partners of their consumers dissatisfaction
2) Provide the latest information pertaining to the development or lack thereof of the driver
3) Inform potential purchasers of affected hardware of this problem so they may make a educated decision for their purchase
4) Determine if there is enough interest for a class action lawsuit.

I definitely want to pursue legal action.

I can not understand why intel has 2 separated teams: one for "regular" driver and one for IEGD. Why thouse teams can not play in one "game"? IEGD has support for HW 2D, 3D, OpenGL, video decoding and etc. And why another one not? It's very strange for me.

Intel really needs to get on the ball with this driver issue because with all theLinuxand windows users combined. im sure there is more thenenoughinterestfor a legal suit. and im sure that we would win under thecircumstances.

Win7 driver development is in act, and they are working a lot, but they
have started just this summer. They found tons of problem to fix in
very build. GMA500 Windows gfx team has started working on OGL support. Based on my
knowledge OGL 2.0 is being targeted for Win7 OS driver. For Linux OS
driver version, already OGL 2.0 support is available.

Intel's GMA500 Driver's Download Page
They are the latest at the moment, for Xp, 7, and Vista. (19 March 2010)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...ccelerator+500

Hope this will work.

Ok, But if there working so hard why does it still take them 6 months for on a driver that still may not be all that good when ATI and NVDIA can get graphics drivers out in as little as six weeks. Dont even get me started on the fact that the linux drivers have not been updated in a year and a half, plus they cant even ship there on driver with meego. What a waste of our time.

So i am guessing now that Oak trail will be released Next year all the GMA 500 users will be forgotten, This will be the last product i Ever buy from Intel AGAIN.

I think this thread should be closed since intel never listens to its customers and just provides useless crap. Lets just all sell our netbooks and nettops and buy Nvidia ion 2 netbooks.

Quoting samusishere
OK this is becoming ridiculous, Intel has yet to release a fully working driver to support our chip set and I'm fed up with it, people please, help me pressure Intel into doing something about this, for god sakes they have had 2 years to do something with the pitiful drivers and have done nothing! I have Windows 7 and I decided to download Appup today, and let me tell ya, almost every game that requires 3D excel Is Unplayable!!!!!!! I mean come on! All the software in The catalog Is supposed to work with ALL Intel Atom based net books Not just the ones with Intel GMA 950 Graphics cards! This is totally ridiculous and Intel has me to the point that I will never Buy another One of THEIR products again unless they fix this monstrosity.

or u set the BIOS firstly then update the driver of the motherboard

However, after installing the GMA-drivers my driver status still states
the previous version, 8.10.14.2020, from 18-12-2009 to be installed,
which is strange.
I've re-downloaded it and reinstalled it a couple of times just to make sure I made no inadvertant mistake or something.

Any idea why this is so?

My computer is a Eee pc 1101ha, maybe these latest drivers doesn't fit this kind of computer or someting?

Regards,
Commodity Gold Tips || Mcx Tips

It happens sometimes with ATI video drivers that they forget to update version string in the .INF file. You can check whether version string is the same by comparing .INF from the previous driver version with the new one, and you can also check the version of other driver files (that can be seen in device manager under Display Adapter properties).

-- Regards, Igor Levicki If you find my post helpfull, please rate it and/or select it as a best answer where applies. Thank you.

Ok,as ownerof a WinXP UMPC powered by GMA 500 (Kohjinsha SX), let mevent my angerhere:

-It's a PowerVRSGX under the hood, sameastheiPhone & other smartphones! It suports Shader-based technology and Advanced graphics ...
... iPhone is happily running Infinity Blade, and other smartphones smoothly running motor racing games...
... My GMA500UMPCdefinitely cannot runsomething that looks close...
... nope, it cannot run Diablo 2 either ...
... it drops~30 out of 60 frames per second when running Playstation Emulator at 640x480...
... it cannot even run "Angry Birds" downloaded from Intel AppUp ... (weep pathetically)

- But it's got Hardware Accelerationand canPlayback Videoat 720p! ...
... but it doesn't do that out of the box ...
... you have to intall strange software and keep tweaking and tweaking ...
...and still wonder if you're doing it rightbecause the CPU utilization is still so high and picture so choppy ...
... and 720p Youtube is hopeless ...

- But hey,Intel hasgot 3 driver teams churning out IEGD, EMGD and GMA500 drivers ...
... Most GMA500 machines are ill-equipped to handle Win7 andwere sold with XP, but the GMA500 team seems to be focusing on Win7driver nowas the XP driver has stopped updating since 18/12/2009 ...
... IEGD & EMGD drivers haveslightlybetter performance and support OpenGL...
... but the machine will reboot when trying to come out from Suspend...
... the [Crtl+Alt+Arrow Keys] screen-rotation shortcuts don't work anymore ...
... when scaling 4:3 ratio content to a 16:9 ratio full screen, there is no option to keep the aspect ratio ...
... for my device, hardware-decoding moviesgets seriously messed up with IEGD/EMGD, leaving green artifacts smeared across the display ...
... and the IEGD and EMGD teams seemingly don't care about GMA500 XP netbook users ...

It's such a shame since the rest of Kohjinsha SX's hardware design is really good & thoughtful. The GMA500 should have so much power within, but it turns out to be a hugh let-down to the rest of the system, because of... drivers! Ha, Never saw that one coming... 2 years on andit still feels like I'mutilizing maybe 40% of it.

Hello,
Several posts mention work on OpenGL 2.0 into GMA500 for about a year now. Are there any news ?

The Win7 GMA 600 driver seems to have OpenGL support already. Although the GMA 600 has the same PowerVR SGX 535 core the GMA 500 has, the driver does only support GMA 600 (unlike EMGD driver). Is there any plan to update the ~half year old GMA 500 driver with the new features/bugfixes?

Great topic! Excellent InformationThanks!Dinheiro Como Ganharhttp://www.dinheirocomoganhar.com

http://www.dinheirocomoganhar.com

Hello,
For everyone interested in this topic : Intel has finally released in July 2011 a good GMA500 driver for Windows 7, driver version 2048. It comes with the following features :
- hibernation working
- DXVA / DXVA2 hardware acceleration
- D3D 10.1 and up
- Aero
- OpenGL 2.0 hardware accelerated !

Everything was working fine in my tests. You can get it on the Intel EMGD site.
Finally, thanks Intel !

i'm so sorry to resume this old thread but i'm investigating about an issue with opengl icd 2.0 included in emgd and win8.1; windows 8.x fully support emgd driver but opengl icd doesn't respect the os request and isn't available. There is any way to upgrade opengl library?

Login to leave a comment.