... getting started

... getting started

I'm new to Intel (Fortran/Windows) compilers and have installed the 31 day evaluation for Visual Fortran. I have some experience with gfortran and Lahey but there's nothing like a new system to make you feel stupid. After installing, neither Visual Studio nor the command line could find the compiler or linker. After finding the compiler by searching directories and pointing to it the build.bat for one of the samples could find the compiler but not the linker. I tried copying xlink.exe into the same directory to no avail. Help! The 31 day clock is ticking...

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - dkstevens
I'm new to Intel (Fortran/Windows) compilers and have installed the 31 day evaluation for Visual Fortran. I have some experience with gfortran and Lahey but there's nothing like a new system to make you feel stupid. After installing, neither Visual Studio nor the command line could find the compiler or linker. After finding the compiler by searching directories and pointing to it the build.bat for one of the samples could find the compiler but not the linker. I tried copying xlink.exe into the same directory to no avail. Help! The 31 day clock is ticking...

The command line environment is set up in the Fortran command prompt window under Intel software on the start menu. The linker is the same one used by Visual Studio for all compilers, so it should be present if your Visual Studio is installed correctly. The only way I've run into not finding the linker automatically is the case where another linker is installed. Then the Microsoft linker path has to be added in ifort.cfg.
Do you have Microsoft C++ working (both 32- and 64-bit, if using ifort Intel64)?

In order to compile a program you frst have to run the follwing comand:

C:WindowsSysWOW64cmd.exe /K ""C:Program Files (x86)IntelCompilerFortran10.1.025IA32BinIFortVars.bat", then in the new command window you compile your code with: ifort ...

The part C:Program Files (x86)IntelCompilerFortran10.1.025 is the path to the fodler where you installed the compiler. Please note that before you intall intel compilers you must haev visual studio installed, in particular visual c++ is needed.

Cristian

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

I'm going to make a guess and say that you are trying to build a 64-bit application. To do so requires that the Visual Studio install include the "x64 Compiler and Tools" subcomponent of Visual C++. For reasons that are a mystery to me, Microsoft chose to make this NOT install by default when you have the Professional or Team System Edition of Visual Studio. (The Standard Edition does install it as does the bundled Visual Studio environment when you purchase Intel Visual Fortran.)

Here's how to fix that:

1. From Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (or 2008) > Change/Remove. The Visual Studio Maintenance Mode window will appear. Click Next.
2. Click Add or Remove Features
3. Under Select features to install, expand Language Tools > Visual C++
4. If the box X64 Compiler and Tools is not checked, check it, then click Update. If the box is already checked, click Cancel.

Steve

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)
I'm going to make a guess and say that you are trying to build a 64-bit application. To do so requires that the Visual Studio install include the "x64 Compiler and Tools" subcomponent of Visual C++. For reasons that are a mystery to me, Microsoft chose to make this NOT install by default when you have the Professional or Team System Edition of Visual Studio. (The Standard Edition does install it as does the bundled Visual Studio environment when you purchase Intel Visual Fortran.)

Here's how to fix that:

1. From Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (or 2008) > Change/Remove. The Visual Studio Maintenance Mode window will appear. Click Next.
4. If the box X64 Compiler and Tools is not checked, check it, then click Update. If the box is already checked, click Cancel.

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)

Here's how to fix that:

I am new to Fortran compiler and having trouble to use it with visual studio. I have a 64 machine and downloaded and installed the 64 compiler (w_cprof_p11.0.074_intel64.exe). every thing looks great until i start to build a fortran library. the error message says that the visual fortran compiler fpr "win32" is not installed. however, visual studio seems to have only win32 configuration available for the fortran project. I noticed that the compiler went to "program file (x86)" folder during the installation. help please.

You make it appear that you didn't follow the steps in the advice you quoted, about installing the C++ and X64 support in Visual Studio. If you add those, you would then need to repair the ifort installation.
Program Files (x86) is the correct default for Intel compiler installation. The entire Visual Studio X64 development support is done in cross compiler mode, so it can run the same on either 32- or 64-bit Windows.

Login to leave a comment.