What do I need to use the Intel compilers ?

What do I need to use the Intel compilers ?

This should be a simple question, and I suppose it should be obvious, but I like to understand exactly what I need to buy.
I need to get new compilers (C++ & Fortran).
The Intel site talks alot about using "MS Visual Studio".
Do I need to have or buy MS Visual Studio C++ or whatever to use the Intel compilers,
or do they stand on their own ? Can I program and run code with just the Intel packages, or do I need the MS stuff as well ?
If Not what does having the MS stuff offer above and beyond the intel compilers that I absolutely need ????
Do the Intel compilers have a modern programming environment (GUI Type) interface, or is it old fashioned command line compiling ? Is that what is missing ???

I could not find anyone on the phone at Intel who could answer me these simple questions, especially the girl in India who wasted 10 minutes of my time askinh me useless questions before giving me a 800 #, which was also a waste of time ?

Pailott

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Intel C++ for Windows is a plug-in for Visual Studio. For full functionality, including GUI development and debug tools, and 64-bit compilation, you must buy Visual Studio (2008 preferred, 2005 OK, 2003 good only for 32-bit XP). Also, you must download a great deal of patches for Visual Studio, with additional patches specifically for Vista. For 32-bit command line operation, you can use VS Express, at no extra cost. The Windows C and C++ compilers depend on the Microsoft libraries and linker.
Intel Fortran for Windows includes a cut down version of VS2005 called PPE. With that, you get nearly all Fortran development functionality, without requiring VS, but no support for C/C++. It also requires the VS2005 SP download, some of which goes to waste. If you want to use C/C++ together with Fortran, the VS requirements are as above.
Generally, when you buy an Intel compiler DVD from a vendor, you will find that you must download updated versions to take advantage of upgrades. All upgrades (and older versions) for the product you buy are free for a year, and renewal is available.
If you are implying that a competent sales person could tell you this, and the information (or links to it) should be on the web site of a competent vendor, I would agree with you.

It might be complicted. See if the following list is better.

The details for 11.0.
1. 11.0 C++:

• IDE use: you need one of the following VS

• VC.NET 2003 standard+
    • VS 2005 standard+
    • VS 2008 standard+
  • Command line use: you need one of the following
    • VC.NET 2003 standard+
    • VS 2005 express+
    • VS 2008 express+
    • PSDK for Intel 64 or IA-64 development only

2. 11.0 Fortran:

• IDE use: you need one of the following

• Nothing (VS2005 shell will be installed)
    • VC.NET 2003 standard+
    • VS 2005 standard+
    • VS 2008 standard+
  • Command line use: you need one of the following
    • Nothing (VS2005 shell will be installed)
    • VC.NET 2003 standard+
    • VS 2005 express+
    • VS 2008 express+
    • PSDK for Intel 64 or IA-64 development only

See this KB for more completed information including older compilers - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-compiler-for-windows-intel-c-compilers-and-microsoft-visual-c/

Jennifer

This is confusing, for sure, on a few minor points. VS2008 Express has no support for 64-bit development, PSDK or not. Steve Lionel has corroborated my experience on this. That's not directly a concern in this thread, as the original question expressed a preference for GUI development, for which Microsoft requires VS standard+ in all cases, for all compilers other than their own. As I mentioned earlier, VS2003 works only with Windows XP32 and 32-bit development; besides, it is no longer available or supported.

Quoting - tim18
This is confusing, for sure, on a few minor points. VS2008 Express has no support for 64-bit development, PSDK or not.

tim18 is right. the Express edition does not support x64/IA-64. So the list is more for IA32 development.

But the link points to the KB with the complete information for all architecture.

Jennifer

Quoting - pailott
This should be a simple question, and I suppose it should be obvious, but I like to understand exactly what I need to buy.
I need to get new compilers (C++ & Fortran).
The Intel site talks alot about using "MS Visual Studio".
Do I need to have or buy MS Visual Studio C++ or whatever to use the Intel compilers,
or do they stand on their own ? Can I program and run code with just the Intel packages, or do I need the MS stuff as well ?
If Not what does having the MS stuff offer above and beyond the intel compilers that I absolutely need ????
Do the Intel compilers have a modern programming environment (GUI Type) interface, or is it old fashioned command line compiling ? Is that what is missing ???

I could not find anyone on the phone at Intel who could answer me these simple questions, especially the girl in India who wasted 10 minutes of my time askinh me useless questions before giving me a 800 #, which was also a waste of time ?

Pailott

So, you're saying that we wasted a lot more than 10 minutes of our time attempting to answer your question, when you don't intend to pay attention to any answers?

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today