Which mesh shape should I use?

Which mesh shape should I use?

Hi,

I'm using hkpExtendedMeshShape to test for collisions between two simple meshes (let say two teapots which aren't debris).

During the simulation, Havok sends the following message:

[0xAD744AA3] Warning : Colliding two collections. For perfomance reasons, it's advised to only use hkListShapes for compo
und moving bodies. Or wrap at least one of the collections with a hkpBvTreeShape. Other collections are too slow.

Is the hkpExtendedMeshShape the best choice for small triangle based objects?
Could you tell me how to choose the mesh shape type I should use? What are the criterion?
Also, can hkpBvTreeShape be used for a dynamique rigid body or is it restricted to static meshes?

Regards
Guillaume

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Guillaume,

There is a similar thread on this same topic: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=62835

If it is possible to represent the object as a convex object, that is recommended over using an hkpExtendedMeshShape. Especially for moving objects. It is fine to have static meshes, hopefully wrapped in a Mopp, for things like landscapes and buildings.

The criterion is usually, try to have any shape that is moving be a convex shape or a list shape of convex shapes. You can experiment though if you have extra cpu cycles. I wouldn't want to stifle you if you are doing something cool. That is usually just a rule of thumb.

You can have moving hkpBvTreeShapes, but again, a convex shape is going to be recommended.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer Havok www.havok.com

Login to leave a comment.