What does this error mean?

What does this error mean?

If I add a vehicle, then I get this error.

What does this mean?

I'm using a 'mesh' shape for the vehicle and I'm usingit as Extended-mesh-shape.

I've also attached the image, in case you can't read it.

AttachmentSize
Download Havok_11.jpg57.1 KB
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
sean.thurston's picture

Hi kxxx_og,

The CollectionCollectionAgent will deal with collisions between two meshes or other shapeCollections. The problem with having a dynamic concave mesh is that you are going to get a lot of collisions and you are not going to have the same benefits that you would get from using convex shapes. All the collisions will basically be triangle vs triangle.

You are probably using a hkpExtendedMeshShape, hopefully wrapped in a Mopp, for the terrain and then you are using the hkpExtnededMeshShape for the vehicle chassis as well. The terrain is fine as is. Is it entirely necessary to have the vehicle chassis be a mesh. Can you approximate it as a convex vertices shape or as a listShape? Leaving it as a concave mesh will hurt performance.

There is another thread on this topic: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=60465

Hopefully that will work for you.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer Havok www.havok.com

Quoting - sean.thurston
Is it entirely necessary to have the vehicle chassis be a mesh. Can you approximate it as a convex vertices shape or as a listShape? Leaving it as a concave mesh will hurt performance.

hi, thanks for bringing this up. even i face the same problem.

if i set the shape of the vehicle (i.e. dynamic rigid body) as a convex hull, then would it solve the problem?

if convex hull also results in the same then i can represent the vehicle as a compound rigid body, right?

i can use number of boxes to represent the vehicle. am i correct?

Quoting -sean.thurston
Can you approximate it as a convex vertices shape or as a listShape? Leaving it as a concave mesh will hurt performance.

how can i setconvex vertices shape or as a listShape in 3dsmax? is it possible?

sean.thurston's picture

Hi knox_,

Representing it as a convex hull should solve this problem. Creating a list shape of convex shapes would also make this go away. You could potentially use a listShape of boxes to represent the car if you chose, but a car can usually be represented as a single convex shape.

You can manually create a convex shape for the vehicle in the modeler or you can use the convex hull creation tool, also exposed in the modeler. If you look under Havok Content Tools->3ds Max Tools->3ds Max: Physics Tools->The Convex Hull Tool. If you create a compound rigid body of convex shapes then you will most likely get a listShape in the exporter. You can double check this with the ViewXML filter.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer Havok www.havok.com

Login to leave a comment.