Getting Started with Intel Location Technology.

Getting Started with Intel Location Technology.

I am working on a project where i need to dispplay enteries in fingerprint and/or beacon database on a map. I am using WiFi mapping tool. I have following questions as i am new to location/mobile technologies:

1. Where can i get map file for area around my university, can you suggest a tool or a sample map file.

2.Does fingerprint/beacon databse is installed on my system with installemnt or i need to create them.If i need to create then can you provide me with some sample database.

Please reply as soon as possible, and also if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,

Sneha

Indian University Purdue University

Indianapolis.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Sneha,
Unfortunately, the package does not include a sample map/world files, or WiFi databases.
You can easily create a map file yourself. Instructions are available in the 'Using The WiFi Mapping Tool' help file that is part of the package. Here is a summary of the instructions:
You start with a picture file (jpg, bmp, gif, ...) of the floor/area you are testing at. You shouldcreate a new filethat includes the data that maps each point in yourpicture file to the point's coordinates. Here is an example of such file content:

Once you have a map picture file and its world map file, you can start using the Intel WiFi Mapping Tool to generatethe different database types:

1. Start the Intel WiFi Mapping Tool (you'll need the close the IntelLocation service first)
  2. Open a map file (point to the picture file, the tool will validate that there is a world file with it)
  3. Open a new/existing beacon or fingerprinting database file
  4. Start generating entries into the database.

Hope it helps,
Boaz Tamir
Software and Services Group,
Intel

Quoting - trivedis

I am working on a project where i need to dispplay enteries in fingerprint and/or beacon database on a map. I am using WiFi mapping tool. I have following questions as i am new to location/mobile technologies:

1. Where can i get map file for area around my university, can you suggest a tool or a sample map file.

2.Does fingerprint/beacon databse is installed on my system with installemnt or i need to create them.If i need to create then can you provide me with some sample database.

Please reply as soon as possible, and also if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,

Sneha

Indianapolis.

Hi Boaz,

Thanks a lot, It helped. Can you direct me to some literature/white paper related to Intel location technologies in general and WiFi mapping tool in particular.

Thanks,
Sneha.

Quoting - Boaz Tamir (Intel)

Hi Sneha,
Unfortunately, the package does not include a sample map/world files, or WiFi databases.
You can easily create a map file yourself. Instructions are available in the 'Using The WiFi Mapping Tool' help file that is part of the package. Here is a summary of the instructions:
You start with a picture file (jpg, bmp, gif, ...) of the floor/area you are testing at. You shouldcreate a new filethat includes the data that maps each point in yourpicture file to the point's coordinates. Here is an example of such file content:

Once you have a map picture file and its world map file, you can start using the Intel WiFi Mapping Tool to generatethe different database types:

1. Start the Intel WiFi Mapping Tool (you'll need the close the IntelLocation service first)
  2. Open a map file (point to the picture file, the tool will validate that there is a world file with it)
  3. Open a new/existing beacon or fingerprinting database file
  4. Start generating entries into the database.

Hope it helps,
Boaz Tamir
Software and Services Group,
Intel

Quoting - trivedis

Thanks,

Sneha

Indianapolis.

Hi,

We did not publish any white papers beyond what isincludedin the package.

I would recommend reading the literature about location technologies research that was done by Intel Research few years back. Some of their work isimplemented inLTSDK. I'm referring to the Place Lab project. In their publications, there is material about different WiFi based technologies (and other wireless signals). I also find their work on Self Mapping very interesting.

Hope it helps,
Boaz.

> Hi Boaz,

> Thanks a lot, It helped. Can you direct me to some literature/white paper related to Intel location technologies in general and > WiFi mapping tool in particular.

> Thanks,
> Sneha.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today