joining bodies together

joining bodies together

hi guys,

Has anyone tried this before? 1 rigid body fractured in 3 parts. Something like the fracturing example included in the SDK. Can 2 parts of this fractured rigid body "combine" once again into a "whole" object? Can this be done via rigidBodies class or I have to go deep into the mesh level ?

Regards.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi gonx,

This is probably going to be pretty dependent on what your use-case is. What types of objects are you going to be "fracturing?" Are they going to be boxes splitting into boxes or meshShapes breaking into meshShapes? There is probably going to be big difference there. The problem is going to be the way you choose to combine vertices in the shape so that it becomes a whole object. Depending on orientation it might not be as easy as matching up where the vertices used to.

The idea would be that you take the two shapes of the fractured pieces, make them into one shape somehow (dependent on what the shapes are), and then create a new rigid body.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer Havok www.havok.com

Quoting - sean.thurston

Hi gonx,

This is probably going to be pretty dependent on what your use-case is. What types of objects are you going to be "fracturing?" Are they going to be boxes splitting into boxes or meshShapes breaking into meshShapes? There is probably going to be big difference there. The problem is going to be the way you choose to combine vertices in the shape so that it becomes a whole object. Depending on orientation it might not be as easy as matching up where the vertices used to.

The idea would be that you take the two shapes of the fractured pieces, make them into one shape somehow (dependent on what the shapes are), and then create a new rigid body.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Sean

Hi sean,

Sorry for the late reply. I was thinking of doing what the simplefracturedemo was doing. It's that type of fracturing i want to join back together. Considering that, would havok sdk have the capability of doing meshes and vertice operations at this level?

Thanks.

Hi gonx,

You can pretty much do anything you want. Just take the vertices from the two separate rigid bodies and make a new rigid body. The problem is deciding how you are going to join them back together. By that I mean, how you are going to decide where the join is going to happen and which vertices are going to be included in the joined rigid body. I don't think that that is a trivial problem.

If you just want them to join back to the way they were when they fractred then you can save their original transforms. That is one way to do it.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer Havok www.havok.com

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today