Breakable chain

Breakable chain

Can we create a breakable chain?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Yuriy,

There is not a specific breakable chain, like the hkpConstraintChainInstance, but it is possible to set up a system of breakable constraints to achieve your desired effect. You could set up a series of ball and socket constraints or hinge constraints or whatever constraint is required and wrap each constraint in the hkpBreakableConstraintData. There are other methods you can pursue as well depending on your requirements, like if you need the constraint to only break in one place, then you could create two chains with a breakable constraint between them. Maybe you can think of some other combination of breakable and generic constraints to get what you are looking for. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer
Havok
www.havok.com

Thanks Sean. The documentation says that any chain could be brakable, but I don't find any example of the breakable chain, that's why wrote here. I thinks havok programmers doesn make it because if breakable chain breaks we get two new independent breakable chains. That's the main problem I think. Anyway, thanks.

Hi Yuriy,

I had a look in the docs but couldn't find the reference you're talking about. Could you let me know where it is so I can fix it up?

Thanks,
Daniel

In the hk 5.5 documentaion:

On the 149 page of *.pdf file written about breakable constraints, but does not say that you can not create breakbae chain.

and on the 882 page I found this:

6.6.3.3 Breakable Constraints

Any constraint can be made breakable if desired, by selecting the Breakable checkbox. The

Threshold parameter specifies the force beyond which the constraint breaks.

I understand that's talking about editor, but there are there in no anymore information about it.

Hi Yuriy,

I've had a look at the sections of documentation you referred me to and I don't see anything that implies that breakable chain constraints are an available feature. If you can point out any specific phrasing that implies availability let me know and I'll get it changed.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Yuriy,

I've been looking through the docs and I believe that the breakable constraint sections are referring to normal constraints, something that uses hkp*ConstraintData and hkpConstraintInstance. The reason it will not work for something like hkpConstraintChainData is that a constraint chain is solved a little differently than a normal constraint. It is treated by the solver as one constraint and solved internally with a full-matrix solver as opposed to the normal iterative solver. Its a solver-in-a-solver. So I think one of the approaches above is probably your best bet. I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sean

Developer Support Engineer
Havok
www.havok.com

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today