Quick question about conversion from Maya units to Havok units

Quick question about conversion from Maya units to Havok units

Hello,

From what I read in the documentation, Maya uses centimeters as its unit, and Havok uses meters as its unit. I was a bit confused on how exactly Maya's units were converted to Havok's. I made a rectangle in my program size hkVector4(0.5f, 1.0f, 0.5f) figuring the one would be a meter, and made a Maya rectangle 100 units tall (figuring 100 centimeters would be 1 meter). I loaded it into my program and watched the visual debugger. Compared to the box, the Maya rectangle looked like it was a kilometer tall instead of a meter. After a bit more toying around I found out a height of about 2 Maya units matched the rectangle in my program's height. At this point I'm pretty sure that the 1.0 height of the rectangle in my program is not a meter but some other arbitrary unit, so now I'm a bit confused.

I guess my question is this: How many Maya units (with the SCALE_CMS_TO_METERS preset for the Transform Scene filter) is there to a Havok unit/meter? I just want a bit of clarification so I'm not modeling something that I think is only a meter tall that Havok sees as a kilometer or hectometer tall.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi harrytruman,

You can set the unit size of any Maya scene when creating it. If you create a scene with unit type as "centimeters", which is the default, you'll need to use SCALE_CMS_TO_METERS with the Transform Scene filter when exporting if you want 1 Maya unit to be 1cm in Havok.

If you want to confirm the size of your exported geometry, add a View XML filter to your stack of filters, and look at the shape on the collidable on a rigid body. If you create a simple box you can see its half-extents clearly in the XML.

Within Havok itself, 1 unit is always 1 meter.

Daniel

Login to leave a comment.