some statistics are not printed

some statistics are not printed

Hello,

I wanted to look at the statisticsof the sample codes givenin the "Intel C++ STM Compiler, Prototype Edition 2. web page".I set the environment variable "ITM_STATISTICS"first to the value "simple" and then to the value"verbose" inorder toprint the statistics (i.e., Transactions, Serial Transactions, Retries, BytesRead and BytesWritten) but in the generated file "itm.log", I get information about Transactions only. Should I use any special flag for compilation to get all the statistics. I amusing Linux, in an Intel Xeon.

Thanks in advance.

Siham

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

sihamina:

I set the environment variable "ITM_STATISTICS"first to the value "simple" and then to the value"verbose" inorder toprint the statistics (i.e., Transactions, Serial Transactions, Retries, BytesRead and BytesWritten) but in the generated file "itm.log", I get information about Transactions only. Should I use any special flag for compilation to get all the statistics. I amusing Linux, in an Intel Xeon.

Hmm, very odd. We haven't seen a problem like that, so can you check a few things

1. Are you 100% sure that the envirable is correctly set? (you could try setting it to something definitely wrong, "foo", for instance, and checking that the library complains about it)
  2. Are you looking at the right itm.log file? The file is written into the current directory, not into the directory where the executable is found.

You don't need to use a special compilation mode, and the fact that you're seeing an itm.log file at all means you're doing most things right.

HTH

When setting ITM_STATISTICS to foo I get this warningITM_STATISTICS must be one of none, simple, or verbose (value was kk). Continuing with the default settings.

When setting "ITM_STATISTICS" to "simple", thegenerated "itm.log" has exactly:

STATS REPORT

THREAD TOTALS

Thread 0 : Min Mean Max Total

Transactions : 100

Transactions for thread 0

Source is line 61 in function thread_body in /home/siham/TM/count/intel_stmtest_counting.c

: Min Mean Max Total

Thread 1 : Min Mean Max Total

Transactions for thread 1

Source is line 61 in function thread_body in /home/siham/TM/count/intel_stmtest_counting.c

TRANSACTION TOTALS

Transactions : 200

GRAND TOTAL (all transactions, all threads)

Transactions : 200

Any suggestion!

Thanks for your help.

OK, so that all looks good.

If you set ITM_STATISTICS to "verbose" you should get the full (verbose) set of statistics...

My problem is that with "ITM_STATISTICS"set to "simple" Igot the number of transactions ONLY.Whereas, I am supposed to get the number of Retries and SerialTransitionsALSO.

sihamina:

My problem is that with "ITM_STATISTICS"set to "simple" Igot the number of transactions ONLY.Whereas, I am supposed to get the number of Retries and SerialTransitionsALSO.

Are you sure there are any retries or serial transitions? If there are no occurrences of an event counted by a statistic then the code which prints statistics doesn't bother to print that statistic.

So, if you don't have any retries or transitions to serial there won't be a line in the statistics about them...

Login to leave a comment.