MoBo's with G965 and gma3000 (not x3000): Hardware or Software problem?

MoBo's with G965 and gma3000 (not x3000): Hardware or Software problem?

Hi everyone,

As many people (I have read a lot of posts about this problem; In this forum too), I bought a MotherBoard with the chipset G965, and I see in my WIndows XP that I Have a gma 3000, not a gma x3000.... But, what's the problem? Why I have a GPU different from the G965 Official SPECS?

I have the MB of Asus called P5B-VM (MicroATX), and I don't know why I have a GPU as bad as a low Chipset than mine! (Mine is G965)

But the question is: The problem is a Driver fail... or it means All ATX's GPUs are Capped?

I think only Gma x3000 can share 384Mb of Ram, and My Card can share it if I Activate one option on BIOS... So, I have a Gma x3000, but windows Doesn't recognice it...

Anyone has found the answer?

(Regrett my english lol)

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

the prob is of software.. bfr my shared graphics mem was 256 mb now it has bcom 384 mb after installin 14.25.50 driver. but still vertext shader 3 and hardware t&L has to be fixed which i think will be done in next driver releases so we have to wait

Yes, the software is one of the problems... But, although you have improved your Shared memory, What Kind of GPU does Windows sayyou have?To sum up, I don't know why in Advanced Options, It says I Have a GMA 3000, and the EVEREST HOME (old AIDA 32) Says tha same; And another thing, It says My Core clockis 400Mhz, not 667 :S !

Do you have the same problem? Or onlythe shader 3 and hardware t&L?

This page says that GMA 3000 and GMA X3000 should have 667 MHz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_graphics_media_accelerator

This are the intel specs:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/313343.htm

Perhaps the driver underclocks our chip? Or is this an special Asus P5-VM problem?

It's that the driver is just not reporting the speed correctly. This will be fixed in a later version.

Do you think the next driver will fix the real name too (x3000), or only clock speed?

To sum up, The real clock speed, the name (gma 3000, not x3000), and all the problems are only caused by the drivers (not by a Hardware bug)?

Nowadays, Are there someone who can read x3000 in his GPU Advanced options? Or everyone who has a gma x3000 reads gma 3000?

I don't know. I can ask. They (the driver team) are pretty much heads down right now trying to figure out/resolve why in some cases SW vertex processing is faster than HW vertex processing on x3000 (965 series).

eiprol:Hi everyone,

As many people (I have read a lot of posts about this problem; In this forum too), I bought a MotherBoard with the chipset G965, and I see in my WIndows XP that I Have a gma 3000, not a gma x3000.... But, what's the problem? Why I have a GPU different from the G965 Official SPECS?

I have the MB of Asus called P5B-VM (MicroATX), and I don't know why I have a GPU as bad as a low Chipset than mine! (Mine is G965)

But the question is: The problem is a Driver fail... or it means All ATX's GPUs are Capped?

I think only Gma x3000 can share 384Mb of Ram, and My Card can share it if I Activate one option on BIOS... So, I have a Gma x3000, but windows Doesn't recognice it...

Anyone has found the answer?

(Regrett my english lol)

That's because both the GMA 3000 and GMA X3000 is in a family called "GMA 3000 Family". Have you guys never went to computer stores and clicked on display properties to see what graphics cards it has?? For Intel's older integrated graphics, it does not tell you "GMA 900 Performance" or anything like that, it says 910GL/915GL/915GV/915G, because despite different clock speeds or whatever, they are FAMILY of GMA 900 GPUs.

madcvdesylv:I don't know. I can ask. They (the driver team) are pretty much heads down right now trying to figure out/resolve why in some cases SW vertex processing is faster than HW vertex processing on x3000 (965 series).

I bet the SW vertex processing is faster because it uses a powerful CPU. Drivers for SW vertex processing must be more mature than the drivers for the HW T&L version. When some handful of reviewers got their hands on V5 6000, they tested out the benefits or hardware T&L for various cards. Geforce 2 MX's hardware T&L wasn't able to perform better for 3dmark 01 than the software T&L using Athlon XP 2500+.

intel just sent me this mail...:

Hello ???,

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

Both the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3000 and the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3000 are onboard graphics controllers. Onboard controllers may not have features supported by high-end graphics controllers. The purpose of onboard graphics adapters is merely to provide a cost-effective graphics solution.

Our graphics controllers are embedded into motherboards and laptops as an integrated and cost-effective video solution. We are not competing in the graphics market nor we comment or compare our products with those of third party manufacturers.

Note: the drivers for the new graphics controllers are still being worked on so that these will improve performance in the future. ETA on newer drivers and what these will improve is not available as of yet.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Carlos B.
Intel Technical Support

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today