How to use Intel_IPP.framework for MacOS with XCode ?

How to use Intel_IPP.framework for MacOS with XCode ?

ann_chen's picture

Hi All ,
I download the IPP beta for MacOS , and install in my Intel-Mac
. The Intel_IPP.framework has been installed on /Library/framework/
. But when i add this framework into my XCode project . there is one link error. Cann't locate the framework for : -framework Intel_IPP . is there one demo to show how to use the Intel_IPP.framework in XCode or other compiler .Thanks very much .

^-^
Ann

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
vladimir-dudnik (Intel)'s picture

Ann, according our expert, you need just add folder to your project, nothing special.

Regards,
Vladimir

cthoman's picture

Has anyone been successful doing this? I get the same error from Xcode: Command /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1 can't locate framework for: -framework Intel_IPP IPP is installed at /Library/Frameworks on my machine. I tried doing a Project > Add to Project and selecting the Intel_IPP.framework with both the "Copy items into destination group's folder" checked and unchecked - same result. The reference is valid, since the "Groups & Files" shows the framework listed after adding it to the project and I can browse the headers and documentation resources.

Hello,

our expert successfully applied the following steps to build ippiDemo sample on Mac OS

Add to project from /Libraries/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/5.1/ia32/Libraries all needed libraries (libippcore-5.1.dylib, libippi-5.1.dylib, libipps-5.1.dylib).

In menu Project -> Edit Project Settings in tab Build sets:

Header Search Paths to /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/5.1/ia32/Headers

Library Search Paths to /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/5.1/ia32/Libraries

3. In menu Project -> Edit Active Executable ippDemo in tab Arguments added Variables to be set in the environment as DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH = /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/5.1/ia32/Libraries (its described in readme.htm)

The sample was built and run.

Regards,
Vladimir

rod_ma@newsoftinc.com.cn's picture
Hi ,
Hi ,

hi,

I has compiled the Ipp5.1 for macos use XCode2.2 following vdudnik said .But also can't use the API . the Error Code is :

dyld: Library not loaded:

/nfs/site/proj/ipp/build/ipp/ipp51gold-20060228-5-1- 0080/lib/osx32/libippvmt7-5.1.dylib

Referenced from:

/Users/mac3testuser/Desktop/AnnProject/IntelIPPDTest/build/Debug/IntelIPPDTest

Reason: image not found

And i post the question to Intel Premier Support,but nobody reply to me . I want to buy the IPP5.1 for macos after i comfirm it can be used . Now how ? thanks very much

--ann

cialz79's picture

I've have the same problem. Posted it into premier area and nobody could help me!!!

I can't run my AudioUnit plug-in, here is the log:

2006-06-24 10:44:05.155 Live[907] CFLog (21): Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/XVolverAU.component/Contents/MacOS/XVolverAU: error code 4, error number 0 (Library not loaded: /nfs/site/proj/ipp/build/ipp/ipp51gold-20060228-5-1-0080/lib/osx32/libippcore-5.1.dylib
Referenced from: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/XVolverAU.component/Contents/MacOS/XVolverAU
Reason: image not found)

I've already purchased IPP 5.1 for Mac 'cause I want to use static linking, why IPP tries to link dynamic libs???

Please note, that you need to add path to the IPPdynamic libraries into your DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable and to add libraries to you XCode project. Doing so we were able to build and run IPP samples.

Regards,
Vladimir

cghuebner@web.de's picture

Hello,

I followed this recipe to get the dftc example from the Intel MKL running with Xcode. The build succeeds, however, when running the executable, I receive the following message:

dyld: Library not loaded: libguide.dylib

Referenced from: /test2/build/Debug/test2

Trace/BPT trap

Help very much appreciated.

Christian Huebner

Hello,

can you check that the path to your libguide.dylib was listed in DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable?

Regards,
Vladimir

cghuebner@web.de's picture

Well, I set the path via the project->edit active executable menu, in the arguments tab. I added in the bottom panel (Variables to be set in the environment) a line with Name DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH

and with Value

/Library/Frameworks/Intel_MKL.framework/Versions/8.1/lib/32

which is the path to the directory with the dylib

Regards, Christian

Hi Christian,

great, by the way, what the expression you got from IPP? Do you find that product useful for your purposes? Were you satisfied with performance and functionality? What is missed from your point of view?

Regards,
Vladimir

perez@thalescomputers.fr's picture

Hello,

I have configured Xcode like it is said just bellow but I still have a problem when executing the code. When I click on "Build and Go", it successfully builds but the execution stops suddently with the following error :

ZeroLinK: unknown symbol '_ippsFFTInitAlloc_C_32fc'

If I disable ZeroLinK, it is the built that stops with one error (unknown symbol and all my IPP functions listing ...).

Thanks for your support,

JP.

Hello, you get this error message if you did not do steps suggested in posts before. Please see recomendation given at post

http://softwareforums.intel.com/en-us/forums//topic/50291#32191

and make sure you do all the steps (did you add libraries to your project?).

Regards,
Vladimir

Hello,

I have already followed the recomendations given at post :

http://softwareforums.intel.com/en-us/forums//topic/50291#32191

I am just not sure about the syntaxe, quote the path or not, quote the variable name or not ?

What do you mean by "did you add libraries to your project?"

Thanks,

JP.

Q: How to add IPP Libraries to Xcode project?

A: To add libraries to project you can select desired libraries from Xcode menu
Project->Add to Project choose ipp libraries from /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Libraries
or
Action->Add->Existing Files

Thanks, it now builds without error.

But I have got an error while executing, xcode says :

[Session started at 2006-10-13 14:23:10 +0200.]

dyld: Library not loaded: libguide.dylib

Referenced from: /Users/jpp/Documents/Benchmark/IPP Library/Bench_IPP/build/Debug/Bench_IPP

Bench_IPP has exited due to signal 5 (SIGTRAP).

What does that mean ?

Normally in manual Makefile, I specify "-lipps -lippcore -lguide" but here in xcode project I didn't file where to put it ... Can the problem come from that ?

Thanks.

Did you take step #3, descibed in this thread several post before?

3. In menu Project -> Edit Active Executable ippDemo in tab Arguments added Variables to be set in the environment as DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH = /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Versions/5.1/ia32/Libraries (its described in readme.htm)

Vladimir

Yes the step 3 has been done.

Thanks,

JP

so, is it solve your issue?

Vladimir

No but I stop working on it ...

Thanks.

sound_consulting's picture
ann chen: The Intel_IPP.framework has been installed on /Library/framework/
. But when i add this framework into my XCode project . there is one link error. Cann't locate the framework for : -framework Intel_IPP . is there one demo to show how to use the Intel_IPP.framework in XCode or other compiler

The reason this does not work is that Intel have not created a proper framework. There should be a file /Library/Framework/Intel_IPP.framework/Intel_IPP, but they have not created it. You will not be able to use the IPP in Xcode like a normal framework should be used until Intel correct this error and ship a new version of the IPP.
sound_consulting's picture
cialz79: I've have the same problem. Posted it into premier area and nobody could help me!!!

I can't run my AudioUnit plug-in

I've already purchased IPP 5.1 for Mac 'cause I want to use static linking, why IPP tries to link dynamic libs???

The solutions presented in this thread will only work for applications that are run inside Xcode.

Meaning: there is no solution for a plugin (AudioUnit, VST, RTAS, or other)

AND, there is no solution for shipping an application to an end-user who will run it outside Xcode.

Premier Support are completely unprepared for Mac OS X. They have many questions about how to properly use Xcode, so I sent them to Apple Developer Support, but there has been no progress for several months.

The IPP does not provide static libraries. Those would end with the .a suffix.

Instead they provide shared libraries inside a directory which uses the .framework naming convention, but which is missing the required components to make a proper framework that would work.

I would like to know if there is a single shipping application based on the IPP.

Community Admin's picture

I am also having problems with the Intel_IPP framework for MacOS.

I agree with the other posters that there is a problem with Intel's framework for the evaluation. Why does the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable have to be set for this framework, when none of the other frameworks I have used require this? Though this technique works with XCode apps, it makes creating things like plugins very difficult, if not impossible. Where are we supposed to set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable if there isn't an executable associated with the project (such as in a plugin)?

On a related note: The .dylib files that are distributed with the evaluation version appear to have been created incorrectly. The path to the .dylib needs to be specified by the makefile when Intel compiles the IPP libraries, using the -install_name directive. For example:

libtool -install_name /Library/Frameworks/Intel_IPP.framework/Libraries/libippcore-5.1.dylib

Unfortunately, we as users can't fix this ourselves, since we can't change the internal path of the library ourselves.

My question is, is this problem fixed in the licensed shipping version of the OS X libraries?

Hello,

we are sorry for inconvenience due to improper implementation of IPP installation package. This willbe solved in IPP 5.2 beta which comes just in several weeks.

Thanks,
Vladimir

Login to leave a comment.