Ask for the meaning of the "serialization"

Ask for the meaning of the "serialization"

Hello,everyone, I am reading the Itanium manual, there is a word "serialization" in chapter 3. Is it means that write the value of the register to the memory to avoid mistake during thecomputation, I am sorry that my english is not well!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Greetings from Intel Software Network Support.

It appears that this question is in reference to the Intel Itanium Processor Software Development Manual: Vol. 2,System Architecture, section 3.2:Serialization.

We are asking members of our engineering team to help come up with a simpler explanation of serialization, and will post it here when it is available.

Regards,

Lexi S.
Intel Software Network Support
http://www.intel.com/software/

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 11-15-2005 11:36 PM

Searching on "define:serialization" in Google*, a number of definitions come up, notably this onefrom Wikipedia*:

In computer science, serialization means to force one-at-a-time access for the purposes of concurrency control, or to encode a data structure as a sequence of bytes. The opposite operation, to extract a data structure from a series of bytes, is deserialization.

This latter form of serialization (which is also referred to as marshalling) involves taking a data structure or object and encoding it into a regular and usually architecture-independent form, suitable for archiving to a file, piping to another application, or, by extension, transmission across a network. Usually the encoding takes the form of a byte stream (a sequence of bytes). When receiving a serialized stream, the encoding process is reversed to get a copy of the original data structure.

==
Lexi S.
Intel Software Network Support
http://www.intel.com/software
Contact us

Message Edited by intel.software.network.support on 11-15-2005 11:36 PM

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today