XNA framework Support

XNA framework Support

Praveen's picture
Hi, Will there be any support for the games developed on XNA framework? If so any tentative date for that so happen? Regards, Praveen
12 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
C.V. Vick [Intel Employee] (Intel)'s picture

Currently, there are no plans to support the XNA framework. How do you see support for XNA/Xbox working?

C.V. Vick
SDK Architect

DweeberlyLoom's picture

XNA is also a framework for games under windows (not just the Xbox).

XNA is also based on a managed framework (CLI), as near as I can figure there is currently no SDK support for developing in a MS managed language like C# or VB.

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello,

support for .NET gets requested often and we are aware of this. Future versions of the SDK will be more open towards other runtimes and languages.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program

I am an XNA dev for the 360 and it would be great to have .NET support. If that was in place I could port all my XBOX games over in a matter of weeks as could alot of XNA devs. I'll be waiting eagerly for that feature to be added.

BrianDevArch's picture

TnT,

Keep your browser glues to this page then: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/develop

Once .NET is supported (.NET version of the ATOM SDK available), there will be many opportunities for XNA entries. I would suggest looking into all of your games to check for device capabilities in the meantime. As versatile as the netbook is, it is not prepared for "high end" game ports, care must be taken to optimize your XNA code as much as possible.

Being that XNA is based on .Net, it should not be too difficult to use it once support for .net is provided by the Intel AppUp SDK. Probably most difficult part will be adding the install of XNA framework runtime into your own sillent installer, needed by AppUp.

While you are waiting, it seems like it would be fairly easy to write P/Invoke code which would access the Intel SDK from your XNA app. I hope I am not over stepping what Intel allows, but .Net framework is already required by the AppUp client (so the runtime will be present). It does not seem much of a stretch to add it in. I would use the C API, since C++ is not really supported by P/Invoke.

Having said this, I have not yet done it myself, but it should work.

BrianDevArch's picture

Paul,

A good set of XNA tutorials in case you were interested:

http://www.xnadevelopment.com/tutorials.shtml

If XNA is not you thing; Brume, Axiom, and Flat Red Ball are all highly recommended game engines (beware the licensing differences and costs).

Michael Kasprzak's picture

I've not checked the fine print, but doesn't XNA impose a higher Pixel Shader and Vertex Shader requirement than is supported by the GMA 945/950 graphics chipset? Again, I've not checked, but I was pretty sure I read back in the day that XNA had some pretty beefy PC requirements.

BrianDevArch's picture

Good point Michael, I tested a Xna 2.0 2D game on my Dell mini without issue. I believe simple and addictive will be the goal. This post may be of some help as well.

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/blog/2010/01/20/optimize-your-game-intel-integrated-graphics-adapters

I will be coming back and keeping an eye on things for sure. We have one finished 2d game and a nearly finished 3d game that would be great to port.

As to the XNA requirements, some features require PS3.0 and I have yet to do ANY research as to what the netbook can do. My wife was itching for a new laptop so I just bought a new one 2 days ago and will be installing and running my XNA games to see how they run.

As far as optimization, the advantage for XNA games already made for the XBOX 360 is that the 360 forces developers to do tons of optimization to get things working at a good speed on the 360 due to poor garbage collection and some other issues. That said any decent XNA game made for the 360 should be well optimized.

I'll run my 2d and 3d game and post my results on how they perform on my wife's netbook soon.

BrianDevArch's picture

Please post the results, would be a great head start for the future .NET ATOM SDK.

This might be a useful link for you as well:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-014257.htm

Pixel Shader Details:

Graphics Controller Vertex Shader Support Pixel Shader Support
Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family 4.0 4.0
Intel® G41, G43, G45, Q43, and Q45 Express Chipsets 4.0 4.0
Intel® G35 Express Chipsets 4.02 4.02
Mobile Intel® GM965 and GL960 Express Chipsets 4.02 4.02
Intel® G965 Express Chipset 3.0 3.0
Intel® G31, G33, Q33, and Q35 Express Chipsets 2.01 2.0
Intel® 946GZ, Q963, and Q965 Express Chipsets 2.01 2.0
Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family 2.01 2.0