"Silent" MSI ?

"Silent" MSI ?

BrianDevArch's picture
I am looking for some feedback on the "Silent" MSI package requirement. As most of us know, all Visual Studio 2008 MSI's support a silent install by simply adding the /qn command line switch. This requires either either the Setup.exe to call the MSI using this switch (Not an option), or the calling app (The App Store) to use this switch. MSDN Reference: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmsdn.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Flibrary%2Faa367988(VS.85).aspx&rct=j&q=MSI+silent+%2Fq&ei=ozkqS5mhHsWilAfGg8WQBw&usg=AFQjCNHzAM9lX97wpz82JSa3VUXHmZYVAw Has anyone heard if this is enough to satisfy the packaging requirements? If not, which method did you use to ensure a silent MSI install without the command line switch. Thank you.
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Jeremy Wadsack's picture

Brian -

We went ahead and removed all the UI screens and set the apps to install for all users on the machine. That seems to have fit the bill with our initial uploads.

However, clarification from Intel would be helpful here.

--
Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

BrianDevArch's picture

Thanks,

What deployment platform are you using? Visual Studio 2008, WISE, Inno, or ?

BrianDevArch's picture

Jeremy,

I tried removing all screens in Visual Studio 2008 Setup and Deployment. While all the standard screens where gone, it did pop up and say "Please wait while windows configures ProductName", with a cancel button. While no input was required, it was not completely silent. Is this the same behavior you see in your installer?

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello All,

I will check this with the Validation Team.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program

Jeremy Wadsack's picture

We used Visual Studio 2008 Deployment projects.

Even though it pops up the dialog (without any interaction needed) this wasn't a problem. The validation team accepted our apps that way. As I recall from the documentation the requirement is actually that it has to be able to run in silent mode (/qn from the command-line).

--
Jeremy Wadsack
GrandeMocha, LLC

BrianDevArch's picture

Perfect, thank you Jeremy.

Login to leave a comment.