moblin: how serious will intel support this?

moblin: how serious will intel support this?

Mobile 1UP's picture
i know i'm one of the early adopters - it is what keeps me interested in things. i had some problems submitting a moblin binary; reported the issue to Intel (through these forums and via email) - and i received the following email. --- The Intel® AppUp(SM) has been launched yesterday and currently supports only windows applications. Moblin applications will be supported at a later stage (very soon). Due to this reason the validation team was giving priority to Windows applications rather than Moblin applications. --- how serious will Intel be about the Moblin market? my Intel contacts in Sweden are heavily trying to push it; but without OEM distributions of Moblin (they are being discussed) will Intel put a large focus on supporting this platform at all? all is well with Windows obviously - however there are plenty of existing competition within these market places. will Intel truly try and support Linux distributions? :) i'll just have to wait for Intel to deal with my Moblin issues when they "find time" :) // Aaron Ardiri Mobile 1UP http://www.mobile1up.com
17 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Michael Kasprzak's picture

Well given that Moblin is an Intel sanction and funded project, there's clearly significant support going in to it. Strategically speaking, it's beneficial to Intel and the OEMs to have a major Linux based OS available as an alternative to Windows. But you must also realize there aren't many (any?) currently shipping Netbooks running Moblin. Linux yes, but it's Moblin that's touted as the next generation Linux for Netbooks, MIDs, and Slates. The current market majority is Windows though, and you'd be crazy to give the preferential treatment to your 10% marketshare version (a number I just made up). Unlike the PC/Shareware downloadable markets that sometimes see similar numbers across all 3 platforms, the hardware market sees dramatically more Windows machine sales.

That aside, it's no doubt Intel has dedicated people on each side of the AppUp Center project. I was pretty sure I read on some news/gadget site that they were demoing the Moblin AppUp Center at the show, it's just not in public beta yet. I doubt people are buying our apps in droves either. Most places I've checked, people are either complaining that it's not working (lack of .NET 3.5 SP1 I'm assuming), or don't see the point of an Intel App store. The consumers tech savvy enough to actually find the AppUp Beta will already prefer their Steam or Impulse stores. Any sales we're making right now are nosy tech writers and fellow developers checking it out.

4 days ago we had no clue we'd be seeing a public beta. Me personally, I was expecting *maybe* March at the earliest, and it to be on an Acer and not available to the public. If anything, the public beta simply underscores that the store is real, and we've not wasted our time. But as far as business is concerned, what really matters is that the store gets in the hands of the OEMs, who bundle it on new machines. As much as we'd love to think the entire existing X million Netbook userbase is a potential customer, it's not. Our customers are the buyers of the various new devices announced at CES, and things manufactured some 4-6 months from now.

Mike Kasprzak
Sykhronics Entertainment
www.sykhronics.com

Mobile 1UP's picture

oh - i'm all for Moblin :) just waiting for Intel to streamline it as well.

I knew about the CES launch; but that was information told in confidence - good connections :) I was also under the impression it would also be for Moblin as well - so i worked hard to build a Moblin binary and submitted it - only to get the message from Intel that it wasn't a high priority right now :)

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP
http://www.mobile1up.com

Michael Kasprzak's picture

Haha. I guess I need to pester Intel people personally then, 'cause I had no idea. ;)

Mike Kasprzak
Sykhronics Entertainment
www.sykhronics.com

Bosco DSouza's picture

Information Update:

A game of ours got validated for Moblin but is still in review for Windows.

Moblin build validation took around 2 weeks.
Windows build's been in review for around 3 weeks now.

Maybe it's the review process that is not streamlined.

BrianDevArch's picture

I just wanted to throw .02 cents your way Moblin developers: Intel seems extremely busy with CES, App Up beta launch, Validation streamlining, etc.

I believe they will support the Moblin environment with as much gusto as the Windows environment once things calm down a little. You linux folks are not being abandoned, chin up. Intel likely needed to choose one or the other to focus on to get to Beta and Windows got the coin toss so to say.

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello All,

Moblin validation was a bit behind due to our focus on Windows to get things started.
From the support side both, Windows and Moblin, are of course both equally important, especially as a couple of OEM's will ship netbooks with preinstalled Moblin and the AppUp Center.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Intel® Atom™ Developer Program

Praveen's picture

Andre, If this was communicated to the fellow developers we would have waited till this becomes priority..... We would have not pushed the submissions by blocking other project deliveries and investments...... I think we would no be considered for Early Bird Prizes also .........

Whatz your comment on this?

Cheers!
Praveen

Mobile 1UP's picture

@Praveen

i think you nailed the topic on the head :) i also rushed stuff through, under direction from Intel (Sweden) about the early bird prizes - which, i believe we are no longer eligible for since the approval process has been halted. (some bug on Intel side) - maybe i'll get some kickback from Intel (Sweden) for the inconvenience, but in general - what is the deal? it was my understanding the competition was open to both windows and moblin developers - the skew of focus on windows is a bit disappointing, we focused on moblin to be one of the first :)

at least i was considered one of the "knowledgeable" about moblin on these forums for a little bit - can feel good. feeling good doesn't pay the bills tho.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP
http://www.mobile1up.com/

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello Aaron,

the winners of early bird prizes have not been announced yet. Also the program was always open for Moblin submissions and several got validated.

On a sidenote please be aware that Intel Sweden is not involved in the IADP when it comes to validation and support. All questions not answered in this forum should be passed to us using the support contact form on this site to make sure it reaches the correct people directly.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Mobile 1UP's picture

>> the winners of early bird prizes have not been announced yet. Also the program was
>> always open for Moblin submissions and several got validated.

my "validation" problem has been an issue for a while now - since january 3rd 2010
when i first reported it here. still no fix - and it would have passed easily - it was a
reviewer who mis-understood; i didn't need to make any changes to my application.

>> On a sidenote please be aware that Intel Sweden is not involved in the IADP when
>> it comes to validation and support. All questions not answered in this forum should
>> be passed to us using the support contact form on this site to make sure it reaches
>> the correct people directly.

of course - and that i have been doing.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello Aaron,

I have requested your account to be checked, I saw 9 submissions, all in Draft status.
Once I get a response I come back to you.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Mobile 1UP's picture

>> I have requested your account to be checked, I saw 9 submissions, all in Draft status.

yes; i tried 9 times :) i have a small change i want to apply (GUI asthetics more than anything) so when it has been checked i can attempt the upload again.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello Aaron,

this upload issue is under highest investigation. I heard you are already in contact with Jonas to assist you with this case so I recommend to report all upload/validation problems to him for the time being.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Mathias's picture

Our company joined this Moblin circus last year and we saw that things were already moving slowly at this point, but right now I get the feeling that Intel does not really believe in Moblin. After all, Intel just wants to sell hardware. :-)

Right now our application is being demoed at WMC 2010 by Intel Sweden, but when it comes to the validation process at Intel US, nothing has happened for more than a month. Maybe that is not a problem since the App Store for Moblin is still unavailable, but the lack of information is not a good sign in general.

How will the Moblin App Store compare to the Windows App Store? Will the Moblin store(s) be tied to manufactures like Acer and ASUS? Is this the main reason why things are moving so slow in the Moblin world?

/Mathias

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello Mathias,

There have been some changes in the background which you can now read here:
http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/1054

Windows and Moblin receive the same level of support and resources, there are no differences besides that the Windows version launched earlier and Moblin comes later.

Best Regards,

Andre B.

Mobile 1UP's picture

i also have a game with Intel Sweden at MWC - i will be going to the event to see it live :)

what i am more interested in is knowing what the plans are around Moblin and Maemo merging to create MeeGo! :) i will also be trying to upload my application again during this week - things have been super crazy for me lately - no time for the fun stuff!

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP

Login to leave a comment.