msvcrt.dll entry point error

msvcrt.dll entry point error

Hi, We have developed a game called "Bubble Rush" currently up for beta testing. We have developed this using DiretX 9 and VC++. Currently, the msi package manages to install correctly but when the application is launched we get the following error, core.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll We have tried making the msi file of both the release build as well as the debug build. We have tried it on several platforms but all with the same result. We are trying to search the error and a possible fix but not with too much luck. Anyone with any similar experience or any suggestions, please post. Thank You, PhantasmGames
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Good morning,

I have seen a similar problem many times in the past few months. The simple explanation is that your target machine has a DLL which is not meant for it's os. This dll has a dependency on a version of the CRT runtime (msvcrt.dll) which is not installed, hence the error you have pasted.

A prime example of that is a Vista DLL such as dwmapi.dll being installed into the Windows\System folder on a Windows XP machine. Removing that DLL may resolve this issue immediately.

Another example is your msvcrt.dll being overwritten with a version not meant for your OS.

Please ensure that the machine you are attempting to run your application on does not have any mismatched DLL's similar to the preceding example.

MSDN Reference for more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324762

Hi,

We have been able to resolve the issue. The problem was we were using a vista machine for making the msi and testing the application on XP machines. As BrianDevArch mentioned and is mentioned in a lot of places in on the web, this is a OS issue. We resolved by making the msi file on the XP machine and now its runs fine on both XP and Vista, still trying to get it tested on a Windows 7 machine, which i would imagine to go well. I will keep you posted if any other problem arises otherwise the issue is resolved as of now.

Excellent to hear that you are back on your way to submitting your ATOM application. Best of luck.

Go to Google and search for msvcrt.dll download. then you'll receive dozens of hits. Choose a site then download the DLL file,and pest your system 32 folder and your problem should be solved.

Hi,

"A prime example of that is a Vista DLL such as dwmapi.dll being installed into the Windows\System folder on a Windows XP machine. Removing that DLL may resolve this issue immediately. " It worked for me, By the way i'm an XP user. Thank you Brian for posting this. It worked like a charm.

No problem, I faced the same issue a while back. Here is a link to a little more info in case anyone needs it:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/869#comment-1313

Hi,

I think you need to use the admin studio tool for repackaging of that .msi file. It might be key path is missing for .dll so taht you need to assign key path for that particular component during packaging.

Thank you,
Subodh

Thanks Subodh,

This issue creeps up at times when developing on Windows XP and targeting Windows 7. Please let me know if you are having any difficulties.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today